Consumer Complaint, Mediation & Arbitration Guide

exclamationThe Consumer Affairs Branch assists consumers through advice inquiries, mediation and arbitration.

You are encouraged to research the complaint history of a company prior to doing business with them. You may contact us for advice, research assistance or to file a complaint. When a complaint is filed one of our consumer specialists will seek resolution through mediation or possible arbitration.

Advice Inquiries

If you have consumer questions or concerns, contact Consumer Affairs at 703-222-8435, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., and a consumer specialist will assist you.

File a Complaint

If you have a consumer complaint, you can:

Complaint Mediation

When you file a consumer complaint, a consumer specialist will be assigned to your case. Through mediation, the consumer specialist works with the consumer and business to help them reach a resolution that is satisfactory to both. 

Arbitration Process

If mediation is not successful, a voluntary but legally binding arbitration process is available as a last resort before proceeding to court actions. The consumer specialist assigned to mediate your complaint will advise you if arbitration is an option.


The laws that protect consumers are the Virginia Consumer Protection Act and Chapter 10 of the Fairfax County Code.


Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version