Intrastate Moves

Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli, alongside the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and the Virginia Movers and Warehousemen's Association (VMWA), advised Virginians to do their homework before hiring moving companies. [ DMV News Release - May 23, 2013 - Virginians Urged To Do Their Homework before Hiring a Moving Company.]

  • Any moving company providing intrastate services should be listed as a licensed transportation service with the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Visit a list of licensed transportation service providers is available. If you hire a mover that is not listed, there’s the chance your property may be held for additional payment or not be delivered, and that the company may not carry liability insurance.
  • If your move is 30 miles or less, the mover is considered a “Carrier Type” and may be licensed as “property carrier non-bulk”. If your move is farther than 30 miles, it must be performed by a mover licensed as a “household Goods carrier”. Even though a mover must be licensed, the rules and regulations of the DMV do not apply to moves that occur in Virginia for a distance of 30 miles or less.
  • The DMV does not have the authority to resolve consumer complaints. All complaints should be filed with the Fairfax County Consumer Affairs Branch or the Office of the Attorney General.
  • The DMV can verify whether or not the rates you were charged exceeded the rates the moving company has on file with the DMV. They may also be able to provide the name of the mover’s insurance company. Any enforcement action requires clear justifiable cause.

Insurance Options

It is important that you understand which insurance options are available, in the event your property is damaged.

  • Option 1: Protection up to, but not exceeding, sixty cents per pound per article, at no extra cost.
  • Option 2: Additional coverage at an additional charge, based upon your declaration of your shipment’s value.
  • Option 3: Coverage for high value items of $100 or more.
  • Option 4: Ask your insurance agent if your homeowner or renter’s insurance covers the move, or whether you can purchase additional coverage.

Beware of movers who accept payment for additional coverage and do not provide you with the name of the insurance company or a copy of the policy. According to the State Corporation Commission Bureau of Insurance, the mover is acting in the capacity of an “enroller” who simply collects a predetermined premium and then may or may not forward it to an insurer who adds the customer to a master policy.  

NEED ADVICE? Contact Us!
Office: 703-222-8435 (8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday)
Fax: 703-653-1310

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version