house  The Consumer Affairs Branch provides mediation and arbitration for tenant-landlord complaints.

File a Complaint

If you are a tenant with an unresolved dispute with a landlord, you can file a complaint online, download a complaint form, or contact the Consumer Affairs Branch.   If you are a landlord you can contact us for advice and available resources.


When you file a tenant-landlord complaint, a consumer specialist will be assigned to your case. The consumer specialist will mediate the complaint between the tenant and landlord, and try to negotiate a resolution that is satisfactory to both parties.


If mediation is not successful, a voluntary, but legally-binding, arbitration process is available before proceeding to court action.  The consumer specialist assigned to mediate your complaint will advise you if arbitration is an option.


Publications, Brochures, Checklists, and Videos

Related Organizations

Tenant-Landlord Commission, its members, purpose, and meeting schedule.


Frequently Asked Questions about Tenant-Landlord issues.

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version