Tenant Resource Sheet

Do You Rent An Apartment in Fairfax County?

Do You Know Who To Call For Help?

If you have a problem in your rental unit, contact the landlord or community manager first. Follow up with a letter.  If you do not get the help you need, contact the county agency below that is responsible for addressing your issue.  If you are not sure who to call, contact Consumer Affairs.

Fairfax County Department of Code Compliance           

703-324-1300, TTY 711    www.fairfaxcounty.gov/code

  • No heat from October 15-May 1, or air conditioning from May 15-October 1
  • No hot or cold running water, or no utilities
  • Cooking or refrigeration appliances that are not in good or safe working order
  • Electrical system hazards
  • Inadequate light
  • Inadequate ventilation
  • Plumbing problems
  • Doors or windows that are not in good condition
  • Cracks or holes in exterior walls
  • Roach, rat, mouse or other bug infestation that causes structural damage
  • Unsafe walkways, stairways or steps
  • Leaking water or flooding in the apartment that can cause mold growth
  • Sewage backup inside the apartment
  • Overflowing trash and garbage inside the dwelling
  • Noise complaints regarding construction activity and equipment
  • Unsafe bedrooms
  • Junk and debris in yards
  • Overcrowding or more than four unrelated people living in a dwelling
  • Illegal multiple dwellings units
  • Deteriorating or dangerous stairways, entrance ways, or breezeways
  • Unpermitted construction or demolition

Fairfax County Health Department, Division of Environmental Health, Community Health and Safety Section      

703-246-2444, TTY 711    www.fairfaxcounty.gov/hd/eh

  • Information on preventing and eliminating roach, rat, mouse or other infestation that causes illness
  • Tick identification
  • Tick and mosquitoes surveillance and public education
  • Information on preventing and eliminating bed bugs
  • Information relating to mold, radon, asbestos and lead paint
  • Trash and garbage outside of Health Department Permitted establishments
  • Inspection of public and community swimming pools

Consumer Affairs, Department of Cable and Consumer Services    

703-222-8435, TTY 711    www.fairfaxcounty.gov/consumer/tenant

  • Information about the rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords
  • What to do when you have a dispute with your landlord or a problem with your rental unit
  • Tenants facing foreclosure
  • Mediation when you have a problem you are not able to solve
  • Education, outreach, and publications about tenant-landlord matters
  • Tenant-Landlord Commission



Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version