Community Services Board Events
- October 19, 2017: Diversion First Stakeholders Meeting – Next meeting of the Diversion First Stakeholders, Thursday, October 19, 2017, from 7-9 p.m. at the Fairfax County Government Center in Conference Rooms 4/5. Email Melissa Osborne to be added to the stakeholders mailing list.
- October 20, 2017: Together on the Pathway to Wellness Conference "#This Is Us: Resources. Resilience. Recovery." – The Wellness and Recovery Committee sponsors this day-long conference on Friday, October 20, 2017, from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the Fairfax County Government Center. This year's conference includes men and women from our community who are leading the way in recovery. The Keynote Speaker will be Jennifer Marshall, founder of "This is My Brave," and other presenters will talk about how creativity, poetry, music and dance can be part of recovery. The day also includes a reesource fair and exhibits. Along with the Wellness and Recovery Committee, this conference is sponsored by the Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board, the Northern Virginia Mental Health Foundation, Inc, Pathway Homes, Inc. and PRS, Inc. Conference cost is $30; limited scholarships are available based on financial need. Learn more about the conference or register now.
- October 25, 2017: Project In-Sight Open House – The Northwest Center Community and friends are pleased to announce the tenth annual Project In-Sight exhibit of art and poetry created by members of the Northwest Center community, including youth and adults receiving CSB services, family members, friends and staff. The exhibit will be available from October 25 through January 31, 2018 and an open house will be held on Wednesday, October 25, 2017, from 2 to 5 p.m. Learn more about Project In-Sight.
- October 28, 2017: Operation Medicine Cabinet Cleanout – Drop off unused or expired medications at a Fairfax County Police district station on Saturday, October 28 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Safe handling of unused or expired medications prevents accidental poisoning, protects the environment, and prevents drug abuse. Get the details.
- November 14, 2017: Transition Information Session – Join the Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board’s Support Coordination staff at information sessions that will help prepare individuals with developmental disabilities and their families to transition out of public schools in Fairfax County, as well as the Cities of Fairfax and Falls Church. One session remains:
- REVIVE Training – REVIVE! is a program of the Commonwealth of Virginia that makes naloxone (Narcan®) available to lay rescuers so that they can be prepared for, recognize, and respond to an opioid overdose emergency. Naloxone is a medication that will reverse the effects of an opioid overdose. Learn how to help reverse an opioid overdose: Register for a REVIVE training.
- Mental Health First Aid Certification Courses – Learn risk factors and warning signs of mental illness as well as information and resources to help someone experiencing a mental health crisis. This two-day, 8-hour class (12 hours for the Spanish version) is offered monthly by the CSB's Wellness, Health Promotion & Prevention division and is open to the public. Learn more about Mental Health First Aid or register for a class.
- Good Neighbor Initiative
- Wellness Recovery Action Plans – A Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) is a plan you create for yourself to take control over your own wellness. Find out more about WRAP workshops, which consist of eight 2-hour wellness education classes.
- Tranquil Voices: Peer to Peer Support Group – Walk the road to recovery! Tranquil Voices is a peer-to-peer support group offered weekly at the CSB's Merrifield Center. Find out more about Tranquil Voices.
- Family Support Group – A family support group is offered biweekly at the Gartlan Center in Mount Vernon.
Infant & Toddler Connection Events – Each month, the
CSB's Infant & Toddler Connection program hosts a variety of fun
events for families receiving ITC services. Check out the current events!
- CSB Board Meetings – See this month's CSB Board meeting schedule.
- CSB Spirit of Excellence Awards – These CSB staff awards recognize outstanding individuals or teams of two or more outstanding individuals whose performance and actions promote, reinforce, or exemplify the CSB’s vision, mission and values. Nominations are accepted each January. Learn about the 2017 award recipients.