Public Assistance Programs in Fairfax County

County residents who meet eligibility requirements may apply for federal- and state-funded public assistance programs through the Department of Family Services. For more information call: 703-324-7500 - or -

Apply Online

Get more information on how to apply at an office near you.

Public assistance programs designed to help people become self-sufficient and independent, include:

  • Family Access to Medical Insurance (FAMIS): Virginia's health coverage for children 0-18 without health insurance coverage; designed to cover children of working families.

  •  Food Stamps (SNAP): electronic card to buy food at participating grocery stores; intended to help prevent hunger, malnutrition.
    Please contact Fairfax County Department of Family Services at 703-324-7500; TTY 703-222-9452 as there are several factors to consider in evaluating eligibility for the Food Stamp program.

  • General Relief: temporary assistance/medical care for disabled or ill adults and for certain children living with families unrelated to them.

  • Medicaid: assistance in medical and health care to elderly, disabled, or blind individuals; pregnant women; and some needy children and their caretakers.

  • Refugee Assistance: monthly grant to assist in economic/social adjustment of refugees; limited to first eight months in United States.

  • State-Local Hospitalization (SLH): assistance with hospital bills for income-eligible individuals.

  • Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF): monthly payments to children/families deprived of support; formerly known as Aid to Families with Dependent Children.

top of page Related Resources — Public Assistance

Denials of Opportunity to Apply for Food Stamps (SNAP) Only
In accordance with the Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political beliefs, or disability. To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call 1-800-795-3272 (voice) or 202-720-6382 (TTY). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Back to Top

Fairfax County Department of Family Services
[ 12011 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035 ]
[ 703-324-7500 ]

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version