A building permit is a document, required by state law, granting legal permission to start construction on a project. This law is enforced by Fairfax County in the permitting, plan review and inspection processes.
Obtaining a Permit
A completed permit application is required to start the process of getting your permit. Applying for your permit can be done in person at 12055 Government Center Parkway, Suite 230, Fairfax, VA, or many permit types can be applied for online.
- When a Permit is Required
- Permit Process
- Start to Finish Video
- Hiring a Contractor
- Building Codes and Standards
In order to determine if your project is in compliance with construction codes, the zoning ordinance and other county or state ordinances, other agency reviews may be necessary, depending on your project.
- Do I need a grading plan?
- Site Development
- Status of Site-Related Plans and Waivers
- More on the Land Development Process...
Building Plan Review
- What are the submission requirements for my plans?
- What are the current review times?
- I submitted my plan. What were the reviewer's comments?
- More Building Plan Review information...
- I am connecting to the county sewer. What do I need to know?
- Industrial Waste Discharge Limits/Regulations
- More on Wastewater Review...
- My house is on well or septic.
- I am opening a restaurant.
- What do I need to do with my commercial pool?
- More on the Health Department...
Many project publications are available online that detail documents required, whether a building plan is required and other pertinent project information.
- Inspection Information
- Schedule, Change or Cancel an Inspection
- Check Inspection Status: by permit | by address