FAQs: Trash Disposal

Where can I find a list of ALL materials that can be disposed of (bagged trash, batteries, tires, etc.)?  

See our Index of Waste Materials online.

 Where can I take trash for disposal?

Residents may self-haul trash to either the I-66 Transfer Station or I-95 Landfill.

The I-66 Transfer Station Complex is located in the western part of Fairfax County. The address is 4618 West Ox Road.  

  • From inside the Beltway, take I-66 West to Route 50 West. Continue west and go south on West Ox Road. The complex is located at 4618 West Ox Road. This will be on the right just past the county's Fire Training Academy and before the Costco store.
  • From Route 29 go to the West Ox Road exit and turn north. The complex will be on the left at the stop light just after the Costco store.

The I-95 Landfill Complex is located at the southern end of Fairfax County. The address is 9850 Furnace Road.

  • Take I-95 South to exit #161, which exits on to Route 1 South. At the first traffic light (Furnace Road) turn right. After passing under I-95, take your first left onto the access road (Mordor Road).  In approximately 100 feet, you will see a sign for the disposal facility. The I-95 Landfill Complex is located on the access road, which runs parallel to Furnace Road. 
  • You may also take Ox Road (Route 123) South. Turn left onto Lorton Road. Turn right onto Furnace Road and continue to the main landfill entrance on the right. Look for the sign "County of Fairfax Solid Waste Disposal."

What are the fees for disposing of different materials?

Schedules concerning residential and commercial fees can be found online.

Can I get a copy of my weight ticket?

Yes you may.  Simply ask a staff member for a ticket as you drive your vehicle across the weight scale at I-66 or I-95. The copy is free for residents and $5 for commercial customers.

How is hazardous waste handled?

The Fairfax County Household Hazardous Waste Program accepts hazardous chemicals from residents free of charge and disposes or recycles them according to all local, state and federal regulations. Learn more...

Business hazardous waste is not accepted at the household hazardous waste facilities unless the business is located in Fairfax County and qualifies as a conditionally exempt small quantity generator. Qualifying businesses can participate during one of the Business Waste Clean-up Days. Businesses that do not qualify can utilize a disposal company. Learn more...

What is the process of obtaining a commercial, disposal or tire disposal permit?

These three different permits require different information. Please call 703-324-5230, TTY 711 or 703-631-0495, TTY 711 for details. General information is available online.

More Questions?

Please contact the Solid Waste Management Program at 703-324-5230, TTY 711 for more information.

See also:

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Alert Logo   New Website Coming Soon--Check Out a Preview!
Return to Graphic Version