More than 800,000 personal property (car) tax bills will be mailed to county residents this summer. Your tax payment is due Thursday, Oct. 5. For vehicles bought or located in the county on or after July 1, 2017, bills are mailed in January and payment is due Feb. 15, 2018.
Car Taxes and Registration Fees
- What You Need to Know
- Motor Vehicles
- Background About Registration Fees
- Full-Time College Students
- Boats, Trailers and Mobile Homes
Pay Your Car Taxes
If you are paying your tax online, please note that the online payment page will timeout after 20 minutes of inactivity. For example, if you open the page and then become involved in another activity that keeps you off the page for 20 minutes, and then you go back to the online payment site it may seem to expire suddenly. If this happens before you have completed your transaction, you will need to re-input your information.
New and Moved Cars
- Register Newly Purchased or Move In Vehicles Within 60 Days
- Vehicle Update Form (Sold/Move-Out/Change of Address)
Tax Evaders/Out of State Plates
Values, Exemptions and Appeals
- Need more information? Email your question to the Department of Tax Administration
Understanding Your Property/Car Tax
View this video in Spanish
- How is my property tax calculated?
- How are vehicles assessed?
- How do I register my vehicle?
- What should I do if I have sold my vehicle or moved my vehicle out of Fairfax County?
- View all frequently asked questions