In the event that Fairfax County Government Offices close due to inclement weather, training opportunities will be cancelled. For additional information on operating status, please call the Fairfax County Government Emergency Information Line at 703-817-7771. Information is also available through the County’s website, Twitter www.twitter.com/fairfaxcounty, and Facebook www.facebook.com/fairfaxcounty.
Classes will also be cancelled in the event of facility closures, i.e., power outages, etc. The Office of Elections will make every effort to contact registrants prior to a cancellation. Registrants for cancelled classes may re-enroll in a later class.
Sign up to serve as an Election Officer and submit availability for each election
Verify and update personal information
Select training classes
Receive and confirm precinct assignments
Receive important election information through emails and text messages
What do I do if I have an Election Officer Portal account?
If you already have an Election Officer Portal account, please log in to set your training date/time. If you are not sure, especially if you last served in 2016 or prior, please contact us.
What do I do if I forgot my Election Officer Portal username or account password?
If you have an Election Officer Portal account but forgot the username or password, please visit the Forgot Username/Password page for assistance.
What do I do if I have never served an election in Fairfax County?
If you have never served an election in Fairfax County, please register for an Election Officer Portal account.
Please direct any questions or concerns to ElectionOfficers@fairfaxcounty.gov or call us at (703) 324-4735 (email is preferred).
Disclaimer: Fairfax County Government does not manage or maintain Google Maps and cannot account for or be held liable for their accuracy. Please review the directions provided by Google prior to traveling.
The following locations will be available for the June 12, 2018, Primary Elections:
As of January 1, 2018, all new and returning Election Officers must complete mandatory Election Officer training (EO) in order to meet requirements. All Chiefs, Assistant Chiefs, and Standby Chiefs must instead take Chief and Assistant Chief training (CHIEF) once every two years and a Pre-Election Chiefs' Briefing (BRIEF) before each election. All training requests require an Election Officer Portal account (see registration section).
Required for all new and returning Election Officers in 2018. Classes run approximately 3 hours.
- Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - Fairfax County Government Center -
2 p.m.or 6 p.m. 2 p.m. CLASS FULL!
- Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - Fairfax County Government Center - 10 a.m. or 2 p.m. 10 a.m. CLASS NEAR CAPACITY!
Required for all first-time Assistant Chiefs and Chiefs who have received their assignment from the Office of Elections. Long-time officers or those curious about becoming an Assistant Chief or Chief may now sign up for the Chief class instead of the regular EO class. Taking the Chief class does NOT guarantee placement as a Assistant Chief or Chief position, however, and priority may be given to those with Assistant Chief or Chief positions. Does not satisfy BRIEF training. Classes run approximately 3 hours.
- Thursday, May 24, 2018 - Dolley Madison Library - 10 a.m.
- Thursday, May 31, 2018 - Fairfax County Government Center - 2 p.m. or 6 p.m. SEATS AVAILABLE!
Optional equipment training for Election Officers who would like additional practice. Please note these sessions are informal, and not designed to instruct or replace EO or CHIEF training. Classes run approximately 2 hours.
- Training dates/times N/A
All Chiefs and Assistant Chiefs must attend a pre-election briefing before each election. Only those serving as Chief or Assistant Chief (active and stand-by) will be admitted. In addition to the training provided, officers will be sworn in and pick up their Election Day supplies. Classes run approximately 2 hours; participants must attend the full 2-hour session prior to picking up their materials.
- Monday, June 4, 2018 - Fairfax County Government Center - 10 a.m. or 7 p.m. (Board Auditorium)
- Tuesday, June 5, 2018 - Fairfax County Government Center - 10 a.m. (Room 120c)
- Wednesday, June 6, 2018 - Fairfax County Government Center - 7 p.m. (Board Auditorium)
- Thursday, June 7, 2018 - Sherwood Library - 2 p.m. or 6 p.m.
- Video: Election Officer Training Playlist
- Video: Poll Pad Operating Procedures
- Video: DS200 and ExpressVote
- DS200 Opening and Closing Procedures Guide (.pdf)
- ExpressVote Opening and Closing Procedures Guide (.pdf)
- Poll Pad Opening and Closing Procedures Guide (.pdf)
- Poll Pad Election Officer Procedure Guide (.pdf - large file)
- Election Officer Training Manual (.pdf - large file)