Any emergency is easier to handle when you have prepared ahead of time. Put together an emergency kit with important items to keep at home, and a go bag with items you will need to take with you if you evacuate. Think about what you and your family would need in a disaster. You can make kits for your home, car or workplace. Emergencies can happen anywhere.
When severe weather is predicted, make sure your car has a full tank of gas. You don't want to wait in line for gas if you are told to evacuate. Some storms may also knock out electricity, causing gas stations to close.
Think about these items for you go bag:
- Battery power radio and extra batteries
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Lightweight blankets
- Emergency information, including insurance policies
- A list of medications and correct dosage, doctor's names
- Personal items such as toothbrushes, soap, extra glasses, etc.
- First aid kit
- Change of clothing
- Non-perishable snacks
- Books, cards or magazines to pass the time