This October, Fairfax County HomeWise volunteers and program staff from the Office of Environmental and Energy Coordination will host two community outreach events to raise awareness of energy- and water-saving activities. Each event will include demonstrations of how to apply weatherstripping, install faucet aerators, and use socket sealers to improve the efficiency of your home, whether you live in an apartment, condo, townhouse, or single-family home.
The first event will take place from 2:00 – 4:00 PM on Saturday, October 2, 2021 at Sherwood Regional Library in Alexandria. Learn more about this event.
The second event will take place from 2:00 – 4:00 PM on Saturday, October 16, 2021 at George Mason Regional Library in Annandale. Learn more about this event.
Both events are free and no registration is required. These events will take place outdoors to ensure the health and safety of all participants.
The first 200 attendees at each event will be provided with a free HomeWise improvement kit to take home and use to increase their efficiency and reduce their overall utility costs. Kits will include the following materials:
- LED lightbulbs which are far more efficient than incandescent and CFL bulbs and can be used in a variety of fixtures.
- Socket sealers to place behind exterior wall electric socket and light switch plates, to reduce air leakage and wasted energy.
- Weatherstripping for use on exterior doors and windows, to cut down on air leakage and to save energy.
- Faucet aerators to reduce overall water use.
- Informational handouts with instructions on how to use the materials.
Volunteers will be available to answer individual questions from attendees regarding home weatherization, efficiency improvements, behavior changes to support utility cost savings, and more.