(Posted 2020 June)
Are you in need of a little help to keep cool this summer? Apply for the Cooling Assistance Program for low income households.
To be eligible, at least one household member must be:
- 60 or older
- 5 or younger
- disabled according to Social Security, Medicaid or 100% Veteran’s Administration
Cooling assistance can help with:
- Payment of electric bills to operate cooling equipment.
- Payment of security deposits for electricity to operate cooling equipment, only for accounts in danger of being disconnected.
- Repair of a central air conditioning system, heat pump, ceiling fan, attic fan or whole house fan.
- Purchase of a whole-house fan, including ceiling or attic fans when there is no other working cooling equipment in the home.
- Purchase and installation of one window unit air conditioner for households when there is no other working cooling equipment in the home.
Applications for the Cooling Assistance Program will be accepted from Monday, June 15 through Monday, Aug. 17.
Applications for Cooling Assistance, can be submitted in the following ways:
- Online: www.commonhelp.virginia.gov.
- Phone: Call the Enterprise Call Center at 1-855-635-4370.
- Paper Application: Call the Energy Assistance main number at 703-324-4328 (HEAT) to request an application be mailed to you.
- Fax: Fax a completed application to 703-653-1355.
New this year! Some households will be pre-approved for Cooling Assistance. Households that are eligible for pre-approval, received Cooling Assistance 2019 and received either Fuel Assistance 2020 or Crisis Assistance 2020 for a payment on an electric bill. Households that are pre-approved will not need to submit an additional application or electric bill. If you would like to see if you were pre-approved for Cooling Assistance, call 703-324-4328, on or after Monday, June 15.
This posting is part of the Department of Family Services' Community Corner where you’ll find timely information about upcoming events, parenting and wellness tips, programs and services, and more! Share these helpful posts with your friends and family. Don't miss out on future postings; sign-up today!