The Department of Family Services' Disability Services Planning & Development unit promotes the self-sufficiency and well-being of people with disabilities through advocacy, education, and solution management so that people of all abilities can fully participate in our community.
We do this by:
- Changing systems to improve access for people with disabilities
- Serving as "ombudspersons" for Fairfax area residents with disabilities who are un-served or under-served
- Facilitating the best possible outcome for the person with a disability
- Educating people with disabilities about their rights
- Educating providers about their responsibilities
- Providing the public with technical assistance on disability-related laws
We believe that all people with disabilities have the right to:
- Equal opportunity
- Health and safety
- Customer choice
Disability Services Planning and Development serves as the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) coordinator for the Department of Family Services. If you would like a reasonable accommodation to access Department of Family Services, believe that you have been denied access to services because of your disability, or would like to know what your rights are as an individual with a disability when interacting with Department of Family Services, call 703-324-5421 or email Disability Services Planning and Development.
We also manage three contracts that serve people with disabilities: Brain Injury Services, Legal Services of Northern Virginia, and the Northern Virginia Resource Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.
We support the Fairfax Area Disability Services Board.