John Hudson Summer Internship Program:
Professional and Organization Development Intern Position Description
Department: Fairfax County Department of Family Services
Work Location: 12011 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Position Type: Paid Internship ($13.00/hour)
Job Purpose: The POD Unit views a “career lifespan” at DFS as a developmental process. Employees at all levels have diverse learning needs that change over time. Meeting these needs helps build a more effective workforce, fosters high morale, and contributes to a productive and rewarding organizational culture. The Professional and Organizational Development unit provides support for Department of Family Services in the following capacities:
- Building work expectations and readiness for newly onboarded employees (New Employee Orientation, Learning Maps, Intern Coordination, Child Welfare Institute);
- Seasoned employee career enrichment & succession preparation (Providing LCSW candidate group supervision and consultation);
- Supporting DFS Organizational Development (e.g. "First, Break All the Rules" initiatives, "Happiness Matters" model, contributions to strategic planning process);
- Customized leadership and organizational employee development programs (Leadership Academy and Data Analytics Fellowship Academy (DAFA); and
- Diversity Programs (Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Ethics (EDIE) Council, Healing of Racism Institute, and Dimensions of Diversity)
- Complete POD assigned project tasks, designed to meet both POD needs and Intern learning goals and interests
- Conduct research related to professional development or other POD initiatives.
- Analyze and summarize data from course and program evaluations.
- Assist with administrative support including preparation of materials and set up for training events and workgroup (i.e. copying, updating materials, creating training packets, gathering and set-up of equipment).
- Coursework in human services, social work, organizational development, education, or human resources
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Word and Excel
- Ability to work independently and at a desk most of the day