Programs for Children in Fairfax County and the Cities of Fairfax and Falls Church
FAMIS Plus (Formerly known as Medicaid)
- This program pays certain medical and health care costs for eligible children ages 0-19.
- Services are offered through private Medicaid-certified doctors or Managed Care.
- Call 703-324-7500; TTY 703-222-9452.
- Apply online.
FAMIS (Family Access to Medical Insurance Security) Program
- If your child is NOT eligible for FAMIS Plus, an evaluation will be made for FAMIS.
- FAMIS provides health coverage similar to FAMIS Plus, for eligible families whose children do not have health insurance.*
- FAMIS covers children of working families who earn too much income to qualify for FAMIS Plus and too little to afford private health insurance.
- Call 703-324-7500; TTY 703-222-9452
*A child's health insurance cannot have been dropped, without good cause, in the last four months before application.
For children NOT eligible for FAMIS Plus or FAMIS.
Pediatric and dental care are provided for children birth to 18 years old through private physicians and dentists and a health maintenance organization (HMO).
Some services include primary care, urgent care, well-child care, immunizations, x-rays, laboratory tests, pharmacy services and case management. This program does not offer in-patient and outpatient hospital care.
Community Health Care Network (CHCN) for Adults
Fairfax County's Health Department operates three CHCN centers. Medical care offered is similar to care in a family doctor's office. Referrals to medical specialists, and supplemental services and hospitals, may be provided when necessary. These services are available to children and adults.
- CHCN does NOT cover hospital or emergency room bills.
- Payment is based on sliding fee scale with small co-payments.
- No one is denied service if they are unable to pay.
Inova Pediatric Center
- Pediatric care, including well-child care and school and sports physicals, available for children ages birth to 21.
- Care is provided by health care professionals employed by Inova Fairfax Hospital for Children/Inova Health System
- 703-205-2600 (English and Spanish)
One-Step Access to All Programs:
- Call or visit the CHCN center listed above
- Contact Inova Health System's Partnership for Healthier Kids at 703-698-2550, TTY 711. This is a community program of Inova Health System and Fairfax County Public Schools. Families receive a brief, private interview in person or by phone and are offered follow-up contacts to ensure that their children receive health care.