Fairfax County Bicycle Program
Latest News and Updates
- Metro to Mosaic Bikeway Community Meeting Held Oct. 5; Comments Due Oct. 20, 2017
- FCDOT Seeks Community Input on Next Reston Bikeshare Locations
- "Let's Ride!" Community Bike Ride Held Aug. 2 in Alexandria
- Fairfax County Named Bronze Level Bicycle Friendly Community
Sign up for news and info via text or email! Sign up at Fairfax Alerts! by selecting “Bicyclist and Pedestrian Information” under the “Department of Transportation” main category. Have questions, comments or ideas? Call us at (703) 324-BIKE (2453) or use our contact form.
- Added May 1, 2017: Updated Bikeshare maps for Reston and Tysons
- Reston and Tysons Bikeshare News
- Bikeshare Launch Coverage:
- Bikeshare Seeking Fairfax County station recommendations - pin your desired location today!
Programs and Events
- Let's Ride! Fairfax County Community Bike Rides
- May is National Bike Month: Local Calendar of Events I Printable Version
- FCPS Safe Routes to School
- Bike to School Day (May 10, 2017)
- Bike to Work Day (May 19, 2017)
Encourage a more welcoming atmosphere for bicycling employees, customers and the community
Challenge (annually May 1-Sept. 30)
Get rewarded for bicycling! Compete against coworkers, friends and family, earn points and win prizes.
Projects and Initiatives
- Repaving Projects with Bicycle and Pedestrian Improvements
Metrorail Silver Line Access Improvement Projects
- See the plans to improve access to Metro stations in Tysons and Reston.
and Pedestrian Projects Approved for Silver Line, North County
Updated May 11, 2017: Fairfax
County Bicycle Map
Find the most desirable routes and major trails in Fairfax County.
- Bike Rooms
Lockers for Rent
Now available at Burke and Backlick Road VRE Stations; and Reston South, Herndon-Monroe and Sunset Hills Park and Ride lots.
Did you know that all Fairfax Connector buses are equipped with front mounted bike racks? Take your bike with you when taking the bus!
- Fairfax County Bicycle Parking Guidelines (Board of Supervisors Endorsed Feb. 14, 2017)
- Fairfax County Bicycle Master Plan
- Bicycle Safety and Helmets
- SafeTrack Information for Bicyclists
In 2006 the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors approved the comprehensive bicycle initiative, a program committed to making Fairfax County bicycle friendly. Four primary components of this initiative include the following: creating a county bicycle route map, establishing a full-time staff position devoted to bicycle facility coordination, planning, and implementation, examining roads and streets that may accommodate on-road bike lanes with minimal reconstruction and establishing a pilot program for an interconnected bicycling network. Program responsibilities have been assigned to the Fairfax County Department of Transportation.