FCDOT Frequently Asked Questions

Who maintains and repairs the roads in Fairfax County?

Generally, if a road has a route number associated with it (ex: Fairfax County Parkway - Route 7100), it is maintained by VDOT. Call their Highway Help Line at 1-800-367-ROAD, TTY: 1-800-432-1843 or place a work request on-line.

Less than 10 miles of public roadway are maintained by DPWES under the Fairfax
County Road Maintenance and Improvement Program (FCRMIP). For information on the FCRMIP, please call the DPWES Planning and Design Division at 703-324-5800, TTY: 711.

Many private roads are maintained by businesses, apartment/condo complexes, homeowner/civic associations or residents. For assistance in determining public or private responsibility for a road, please contact the DPWES Maintenance and Stormwater Management Division at 703-934-2800, TTY: 711.

Where do I purchase my County decal?

No more decals. Effective July 1, 2006, the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors has repealed Article 12, Motor Vehicle Decal Fee, Sections 82-12-1 through 82-12-12 of the Code of the County of Fairfax.

What bus route do I take to get to…?

Fairfax Connector schedules are available online or by calling (703) 339-7200. You may also plan you trip using the Metro Trip Planner or calling Metrobus at (202) 637-7000.

What are the future plans for ____ road?

For more information on transportation planning issues please contact the FCDOT Transportation Planning Division at 703-877-5600 TTY: 711 or Consult the VDOT Projects and Plans web page.

Who provides transportation for the handicapped and elderly to doctor appointments, stores, etc…?

FASTRAN is Fairfax County's Para Transit service and can be reached at (703) 222-9764 TTY:(703) 324-7079. FCDOT operates the SENIORS-ON-THE-GO! program which can be reached at (703) 877-5800 TTY:711.

Who takes care of malfunctioning traffic signals?

VDOT maintains the traffic signals and can be contacted at (703) 383-2600 TTY: 1-800-432-1843.

Who plows my road when there is inclement weather?

VDOT is responsible for most snow plowing. They can be reached at (703)-383-8368 TTY: 1-800-432-1843. For more information on snow removal in the county see the Snow Removal FAQ at DPWES.

Where can I get information regarding my child’s school bus route?

Contact the Fairfax County Schools Office of Transportation Services at (703)-446-2000 TTY: 711 (Virginia Relay Service).

Where do I get my driver’s license and plates?

The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) handles these transactions. You can call the DMV at 1-866-368-5463 or 1-800-435-5137 TTY: 1-800-272-9268.

Where are you located? How do I get to your office?

The Department of Transportation is located at 4050 Legato Road, Suite 400 in the Centerpointe 1 office building.. View a map and directions here or call us at (703) 877-5600 TTY: 711.

What can you tell me about the Taxicab program for seniors?

Visit the SENIORS-ON-THE-GO! web page or call (703) 877-5800 TTY: 711.

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version