The Office of the Fire Marshal administers single-use and cyclical operational permits through the Fire Inspections Branch.
The Virginia Statewide Fire Prevention Code is a maintenance code which is enforced once a structure receives a certificate of occupancy and contains the regulations which must be complied with for the protection of life property from the hazards of fire and explosion. Section 108.1 of the Fire Prevention Code authorizes the Office of the Fire Marshal to require operational permits (i.e., Fire Prevention Code Permits) for activities, processes, and occupancies regulated by the Fire Prevention Code. FPCP requirements originate from Table 107.2 of the Fire Prevention Code (as amended by Fairfax County). Once issued, Fire Prevention Code Permits (FPCP) allow the permit applicant to (i) conduct activities involving the handling, storage, or use of substances, materials, or devices regulated by the Fire Prevention Code, (ii) conduct processes regulated by the Fire Prevention Code which produce conditions hazardous to life or property, (iii) and/or to establish a place of assembly. Permits are valid for one year unless noted otherwise and must be renewed annually.
A complete list of FPCP requirements are available online to include Fire Code Reference, Requirement Description and fee. Please see the Permit Requirements section below for any permits that may require a certificate of occupancy, plan review or inspection prior to their issuance.
FPCP APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Unless you are using one of the custom FPCP applications listed below, you must use the general FPCP application above.
- Determine the type of FPCP endorsement required by reviewing the above detailed FPCP requirements. Then record the description, fee amount, and “FIDO Code” on the application. Multiple endorsements may be listed on one application.
- Record the total permit fees in the “Total Amount Due” section of the application.
- Completely fill out the address and contact information on the bottom half of the application. Be sure to include the commercial occupancy permit (Non-RUP or Zoning Permit) number that applies to the permit/inspection location. Deliver or mail the completed application along with your payment and any required compliance documentation to the address at the top of the permit application.
Custom FPCP Applications
Because of specific fire marshal inspection and plan review requirements, the following custom FPCP applications shall be used for the following activities:
- Retail Sales of Fireworks, Fireworks Stands
- Retail Sales of Fireworks, Mercantile Occupancies
- Wholesale Fireworks
- Outdoor Fireworks Display
A valid certificate of occupancy is generally required prior to the issuance of an FPCP. Additionally, a plan review or inspection may be required prior to the issuance of an FPCP.
The following Web pages outline the prerequisites and submission requirements pertaining to each topic.
Questions related to certificates of occupancy should be directed to the appropriate jurisdiction listed below. Depending on the occupancy type, a pre-occupancy inspection by a Fire Marshal inspector may be required. To schedule a pre-occupancy inspection, contact the Fire Inspections Branch at 703-246-4849. Thereafter, a post-occupancy inspection may be required.
- Fairfax County - Refer to the publication Non Residential Use Permits (PDF), or call the Zoning Permit Review Branch at 703-222-1082.
- Town of Clifton - Visit the Town of Clifton Online.
- Town of Herndon - Visit the Town of Herndon Online or call the town at 703-787-7380
- Town of Vienna - Visit the Town of Vienna Online or call the town at 703-255-6341
FPCP Requirements and Related Inspections >> Call the Fire Inspections Branch at 703-246-4849
Permit Application Process and Fees >> Call the Revenue and Records Branch at 703-246-4803
Plan Submittal/Review Related to an FPCP Application >> Call the Engineering Plans Review Branch at 703-246-4806