Please note the following changes and reminders for procedures in the Fairfax County General District Court:
1. Criminal motions (9:00AM in courtroom 2H) can be filed the same day until 8:30AM except for motions involving an incarcerated defendant. These motions must be filed by 3:00PM the business day prior due to the inability of the Sheriff’s Office to move inmates during the morning lockdown period.
2. A first continuance request for regular (non-serious misdemeanor) traffic charges will continue to be granted by the clerk’s office if filed at least 2 business days prior to the court date. It can be filed in person or by phone/mail.
First time requests for serious traffic misdemeanors and second continuance requests for traffic charges as well as all requests for criminal charges will continue to require a judge’s signature. The request must be filed at least 2 business days prior to the court date to go to chambers for judge approval; otherwise, the request will require a motion in open court. Chambers continuances are the court’s preferred method
3. To expedite the passing of morning docket cases to the Commonwealth, notices of appearance can be filed in the criminal and traffic clerk’s office between 8:00 – 9::15 the morning of court or sent electronically via EZSubmit no later than 3:00PM the day prior. For added convenience, the traffic division (room 106) has an inbox at their counter where counsel may drop off a praecipe for traffic cases (without wiating in line) up until 9:15AM the day of court.
4. Any questions regarding the Fairfax County General District Court’s Mental Health Docket should be directed to Michelle Coward, Fairfax County Mental Health Docket Coordinator, at 703-246-4454.
5. When filing a motion for Evaluation of Competency, please make sure you are using the latest version of the court’s form (revised 2017).