Health Codes - Fairfax and Commonwealth of Virginia
Chapter 43.1 - Food and Food Service Establishments
Chapter 46 - Health or Safety Menaces
This ordinance defines a number of specific conditions on land or premises which might endanger the health or safety of the public. These include, in part, improper garbage disposal, rodent and insect infestations affecting public health, unburied dead animals, accumulated animal waste, and certain other hazards. It also sets forth procedures for inspections, notices, abatement, hearings and appeals.
Chapter 68.1 - Individual Sewage Disposal Facilities
The Board of Supervisors adopted the proposed amendments to Chapter 68.1 - Individual Sewage Disposal Facilities of the Fairfax County Code on July 7, 2003. The new Chapter 68.1 became effective August 1, 2003. The new code takes into account new technology and advancements within the field of onsite sewage disposal by incorporating, with specific changes, the Commonwealth of Virginia, State Board of Health, Sewage Handling and Disposal Regulations.
The changes to the ordinance are intended to enhance protection for homeowners and the environment and to conform to the urbanized Fairfax County population and lifestyle. Many of the amendments are presently being enforced through Agency procedural policies.
Chapter 69.1 - Water Recreation Facilities Ordinance
Visit the web page for public swimming pool owners and operators to learn more about the Water Recreation Facilities Ordinance and the permitting process.
Chapter 70.1 Private Well Water Ordinance
The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors approved the amendments to Chapter 70.1 Private Well Water Ordinance, of the Fairfax County Code on February 7, 2005.
Sewage and Water Regulations:
- Sewage Handling and Disposal Regulations - These are regulations that govern septic systems, alternative onsite systems, privies (including composting and incinerating toilets), and siting, design and construction standards for residential and commercial onsite sewage treatment and dispersal systems.
- Private Well Regulations - The Private Well regulations contain the site and construction criteria for private (non public) wells used for residential, small business, and irrigations wells (including heat pump wells).
- Alternative Discharging Sewage Treatment Regulations - Here you will find the site and performance criteria for residential systems that discharge to state waters, intermittent streams, and dry ditches.
- AOSE Regulations - These are the rules governing the private sector practice and reporting requirements related to site evaluation and system design under the Sewage Handling and Disposal Regulations.
- Food Establishments
- Hotel Regulations - 12 VAC 5-431
- Summer Camps - 12 VAC 5-440
- Campgrounds - 12 VAC 5-450
- Tourist Establishment Swimming Pools and Other Public Pools - 12 VAC 5-460
- Swimming Pool Regulations Governing the Posting of Water Quality Results - 12 VAC 5-462