Religiously Exempt Child Care Facilities
A number of facilities and businesses are required to obtain a permit or an inspection from the Health Department before opening or renewing a permit. These are annually renewing permits and are not transferable to a new owner.
The Health Department conducts inspections and complaint investigations for general sanitation, infestations and health/safety hazards for these businesses and other facilities listed below, which are permitted or inspected by the Health Department. Members of the public who have concerns about the cleanliness and/or safety of a facility or business in the Fairfax community, may submit a complaint here.
Other establishments inspected and/or permitted by the Health Department: Restaurants | Pools | Tourist Establishments | Other Businesses Regulated or Inspected by the Health Department
Religiously Exempt Child Care Facility Permits
The vast majority of private schools, nursery schools and childcare centers, as well as all home child care facilities, are permitted and inspected by other agencies. Please visit the Office for Children web page for more information.
The Health Department does permit and inspect any place, home, facility or institution that meet all three of the criteria below:
- Is specifically exempt from the Commonwealth of Virginia Child Care regulations 63.2-1716 or 63.2-1717 AND
- Is for the purposes of providing care, education, and guidance AND
- Receives on a regular basis, for any periods of more than one hour but less than twenty-four hours, one or more children, under the age of five, who are not attended by a parent, guardian or person with legal custody.
- Permit renewal annual deadline: Sept 30
- Initial application fee: $220
- Renewal fee: $190
- Late renewal fee: $255
- Read the Code: Chapter 30, Fairfax County, Virginia Code of Ordinances
- Checklist: Requirements for Proposed Child Care Facilities Exempt from State Licensing
Before proceeding with the online permit application, you will need the following information:
- Establishment information (name, owner, address, etc.)
- Special Exception/Special Permit Letter from the Department of Planning and Zoning
- Affidavit of Exemption
- If required: floor plan, food service contract, and/or food establishment permit
Applying for a permit for a religiously exempt child care facility online is the fastest and most efficient way to submit an application. However, applications may also be printed, filled out, and submitted in the following ways:
- Applications may be submitted in person at the Health Department Administration and Environmental Health Services building located at 10777 Main Street, Suite 102, Fairfax, VA 22030.
- Applications may be faxed to 703-385-9568
- Applications may be emailed to email@example.com.
All applications submitted in person, by fax or by email must include:
Child Care Facility Food Permitting
If food is prepared and served on the premises, the facility must comply with state and local food codes. Applying for a food permit is a separate process.
Other Child Care Centers, Private Schools Inspected by the Health Department
When another Commonwealth of Virginia agency requires a facility or businesses to obtain an inspection from the Health Department, please contact 703-246-2444 for scheduling. These facilities and businesses may include, but are not limited to private schools and child care centers.