Religiously Exempt Child Care Facilities

Child playing with toy trainA number of facilities and businesses are required to obtain a permit or an inspection from the Health Department before opening or renewing a permit. These are annually renewing permits and are not transferable to a new owner.

The Health Department conducts inspections and complaint investigations for general sanitation, infestations and health/safety hazards for these businesses and other facilities listed below, which are permitted or inspected by the Health Department. Members of the public who have concerns about the cleanliness and/or safety of a facility or business in the Fairfax community, may submit a complaint here.

Other establishments inspected and/or permitted by the Health Department: RestaurantsPools | Tourist Establishments | Other Businesses Regulated or Inspected by the Health Department

Religiously Exempt Child Care Facility Permits

The vast majority of private schools, nursery schools and childcare centers, as well as all home child care facilities, are permitted and inspected by other agencies. Please visit the Office for Children web page for more information.

The Health Department does permit and inspect any place, home, facility or institution that meet all three of the criteria below:

  1. Is specifically exempt from the Commonwealth of Virginia Child Care regulations 63.2-1716 or 63.2-1717 AND
  2. Is for the purposes of providing care, education, and guidance AND
  3. Receives on a regular basis, for any periods of more than one hour but less than twenty-four hours, one or more children, under the age of five, who are not attended by a parent, guardian or person with legal custody.

Permitting Details:

How to Apply for a Permit Online:

Before proceeding with the online permit application, you will need the following information:

Apply for or Renew a Permit Online - click here

How to Apply for a Permit in Person, by Fax or by Email:

Applying for a permit for a religiously exempt child care facility online is the fastest and most efficient way to submit an application. However, applications may also be printed, filled out, and submitted in the following ways:

All applications submitted in person, by fax or by email must include:

Child Care Facility Food Permitting

If food is prepared and served on the premises, the facility must comply with state and local food codes.  Applying for a food permit is a separate process.

Apply for a food permit.

Other Child Care Centers, Private Schools Inspected by the Health Department

When another Commonwealth of Virginia agency requires a facility or businesses to obtain an inspection from the Health Department, please contact 703-246-2444 for scheduling.  These facilities and businesses may include, but are not limited to private schools and child care centers.

Contact Us

Public Counters:
Mon. Fri.
8 a.m. 4 p.m.  

  • 10777 Main Street, Fairfax, VA 22030
  • Main Phone: 703-246-2444
  • Fax: 703-653-9448
  • Send an Email

Important Links

Facebook icon Twitter icon
Join us on
Facebook and Twitter.

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Alert Logo   New Website Coming Soon--Check Out a Preview!
Return to Graphic Version