Register Here (maximum number of riders is 150)
The 2021 Inaugural Tour de Hunter Mill is Saturday, May 15 and begins at the Reston Community Center at Hunters Woods and takes cyclists through Fairfax County’s Hunter Mill District on scenic routes. The long route goes from Reston to Vienna and loops back via the roads and trails or via a Metro option from Spring Hill Station. The family route stays within Reston and mostly on paved Reston Association paths. Ride marshals and Fairfax County police will be on hand to assist where needed.
COVID-19 Information: The ride will be adhering to the Virginia Department of Health’s recommendations for social gatherings. Masks must be worn at all times while at the Reston Community Center, each rest stop and within the Metro system if riders take that option. All riders, staff, volunteers and attendees must remain six feet apart when they are not riding a bike.
No bike? No problem! Consider using Capital Bikeshare.
Family Route: less than five miles, contained almost entirely within the Reston Association pathway system. See five different locations for public art and children can enjoy a Public Art passport game to earn a reward at the end of the ride. There are a couple of challenging hills as you climb out of the stream valleys, but to quote a great cyclist, ‘I’ve never met a hill I couldn’t walk up.”
- https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35218346 - from Reston Community Center at Hunters Woods to Walker Nature Center and loop back to Reston Community Center at Hunters Woods
Long Route with Metro Option: 15 miles. This route takes the W&OD to Vienna for the first rest stop, then takes quiet roads and trails over to the Spring Hill Metro station in Tysons Corner. At that rest stop riders will receive info on how to take their bike on Metro for the 8 minute ride to Wiehle-Reston East where they will exit to continue the route back to Hunters Woods. Riders will need to provide their own Metro card to exercise this option. This option saves you 475 feet of climbing over six miles.
- https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35327738 - from Reston Community Center at Hunters Woods to Spring Hill Metro Station
- https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35103967 - from Wiehle-Reston East Station to Reston Community Center at Hunters Woods
Long Route no Metro: 20 miles. This route takes the W&OD to Vienna for the first rest stop, then takes quiet roads and trails over to the Spring Hill Metro station in Tysons Corner for the second rest stop. From there the route uses paved trails, quiet roads, and roads with bike infrastructure to return to the W&OD and ride back to Reston to Hunters Woods.
- https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35103917 - from Reston Community Center at Hunters Woods to Vienna to Tysons to W&OD and return to Reston Community Center at Hunters Woods.
Fee is $25 per adult (16 and older). We require a first name and last name for each ticket (Eventbrite registration link will also require an email address). Event is rain or shine, see policies below. Registration includes Tour de Hunter Mill socks for adults, goodies for kids and a $5 donation to Fairfax Alliance for Better Bicycling.
Families: If you are registering as a family (up to 5 people), please purchase one ticket per adult and send an email to email@example.com. to inquire about family pricing.
If you would like to participate but cannot afford the registration fee, email firstname.lastname@example.org for scholarship or volunteer opportunities. Please put Tour de Hunter Mill in subject line.
- Children under 15 must be riding with a parent or guardian.
- NO REFUNDS due to event cancellation or if the purchaser cannot attend the event. Event is rain or shine.
- NO TRANSFERS of registration to other riders
- Helmets are required for the ride, no exceptions
- You'll be required to sign a liability waiver on the day of the ride. Minors must have their waiver signed by a parent or guardian. Please print out the waiver to bring with you. RIDE WAIVER
Agenda on Ride Day:
Welcome by Supervisor Walter Alcorn at 8:30 a.m.
Long Route Riders: Start 8:30 to 9:15 a.m.
Family Route Riders: Start 9:15 to 10 a.m.
Post-ride food, fun, and prizes at the Reston Community Center at Hunters Woods: 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Many Thanks to Our 2021 Partners:
- Fairfax Alliance for Better Bicycling
- Reston Community Center
- Reston Association
- Public Art Reston
- Town of Vienna
- Tysons Partnership
- Reston Bike Club
- Fairfax County Police Department
Questions? Email Shyamali Hauth, Hunter Mill District Office at HunterMill@FairfaxCounty.gov