Land Development Services

Fairfax County, Virginia

CONTACT INFORMATION: Office hours: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Counter hours: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. (M-Th), 9:15 a.m.-4 p.m. (F)

TTY 711

12055 Government Center Pkwy
Fairfax, VA 22035

Bill Hicks,

Demolition Permits

Electric Vehicle Charging Stations

This information is the most common for how to obtain the necessary permits for your project and is not representative of all the conditions you may encounter. For more specific information or questions, contact the agencies listed below.


You will be required to obtain a demolition permit and a plumbing permit for utility cap offs. You may also need an asbestos removal permit (if asbestos is present) and/or a VDOT permit for land disturbance in the public right-of-way or if you are accessing your property from a new street entrance.

Fees vary depending on the scope of your project; use the online fee estimator to help determine your costs.

Who should apply for the permit?

Homeowners may obtain permits in their own name. However, it is strongly recommended a properly licensed contractor pull the permits as the responsible party so the county can better assist in gaining compliance for defective work.


When applying for a permit, you must submit:

Permit Process

Follow the steps below to obtain the necessary approvals and permits for your project. Vienna and Clifton residents require additional approvals from their respective towns. You may obtain the status of your permit application at any time online.

  • Step 1) Asbestos Abatement Permit

    Asbestos Abatement Permit

    If asbestos is present, an asbestos abatement permit is required to be issued to properly licensed contractor. The contractor must complete and submit an Asbestos Removal Certification to close that permit.

  • Step 2) Plumbing and Demolition Permit

    Plumbing and Demolition Permit

    Begin your permit application process online. Follow the prompts to create your FIDO account and apply for your residential plumbing and demolition permits. Cap off the applicable utilities and obtain a final inspection on the plumbing permit. Obtain abandonment letters from utility companies. If well or septic system is present you must begin the permit process at the Health Department.

  • Step 3) County Review

    County Review

    County staff from the Permit Application Center, Health Department (if on well or septic), Site and Zoning will review your package for completeness and compliance with the building code and county ordinances.

  • Step 4) Bond Release

    Bond Release

    All debris must be properly removed. The demolition permit must have an approved final inspection. Erosion and sediment controls must be in place. Established grades must be in place.



You are required to obtain final inspections from the county for the plumbing and demolition permits. All county approved plans must be available on the jobsite. To schedule, cancel or modify an inspection online or with the Fairfax County smartphone app.

Miss Utility

Before you begin excavating for your project, you must first call Miss Utility at 811, TTY 711. Miss Utility is a free service that marks underground utilities.

Is a new structure planned?

If new construction is intended for your site, the site-related plan for both the demolition and the new structure can be combined. The building permit for each project will be issued simultaneously after the site-related plan is approved.

Accessory structure only?

Structures such as garages or sheds that were never served by a utility can be demolished without following Step 1 or obtaining a plumbing permit. You can submit an Affidavit for Demolition of Accessory Structures to assume responsibility for utilities during demolition.

Site-related Plans

To determine your project’s impact on your property, one of the site-related plan types listed below must be submitted. To learn more, see our Site-Related Plans publication or contact the Permit Application Center.

  1. A House Location Plat, is drawn from survey data of your property. You may use an existing plat if your project disturbs 2,500 square feet or less. If you do not have a current plat, you may need to hire a surveyor to prepare a new one. Plats used with previous projects are prohibited.
  2. A Conservation Plan is much like a house location plat, but also shows erosion and sediment control measures. You can use one when your project disturbs 5,000 square feet or less and drainage improvements and water quality controls are not required. If you do not meet these conditions, you must submit a grading plan.
  3. A Grading Plan is a drawing of your site which shows topography, new construction and improvements and is required when your project disturbs more than 2,500 square feet, blocks existing drainage patterns or soil is to be cut or filled more than 18 inches.


Listed below are utility companies that serve Fairfax County. You must obtain written confirmation from the utility company in order to obtain a demolition permit.

Natural Gas

Washington Gas: 703-750-1000
Columbia Gas: 800-543-8911


Fairfax County: 703-324-5015


Dominion Power: 888-667-3000
NOVEC: 703-335-0500


Fairfax Water: 703-698-5600
Alexandria: 703-549-7080
Falls Church: 703-248-5071
Fairfax City: 703-385-7915
Herndon: 703-435-6800
Vienna: 703-255-6385
All telephone numbers above are accessible in TTY by calling 711.

Ask Fairfax Virtual Assistant