RBDigital for Reading Magazines
The library offers access to current digital editions of many popular magazines for a variety of devices through a service called RBDigital. There are no holds, no checkout periods, and no limit to the number of magazines you can download. You may keep digital copies of magazines for as long as you wish.
Devices and Formats
- PC and Mac • Read the magazine using online streaming
- Download the RBDigital app from the RBDigital website to download and read magazines offline
Android phones and tablets, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, Kindle Fire/Fire HD, Nook HD/HD+, Windows 8 phones and tablets and Blackberry Playbook
- Download the RBDigital app from your device’s App Store to download and read magazines offline
Search for a Magazine Title and Create RBDigital Accounts
- Access https://www.rbdigital.com/fairfaxcova/ from a computer or portable device.
- Search for a magazine title by entering a title in the search box, or scroll through the list of available magazines. You may also limit your search by genre, using the drop-down genre box in the upper right corner.
- Select a magazine title to check it out.
- You will be prompted to log in or to create a RBDigital library account.
- If you select Create New Account, then you will be prompted to enter your Fairfax County Public Library Card number, 14 digits with no spaces, then select Next.
- Enter your first name, last name, email address and a password for the RBDigital library account.
- When the Complete your checkout box appears, confirming the title of the magazine you wish to check out, select Complete Checkout.
- The RBDigital.com site or the app may open in a new window, depending upon your device. You will be prompted to log in or to create a RBDigital.com account, which is linked to your RBDigital library account.
- Enter your first name, last name, email address, and password again when prompted to create a RBDigital.com account.
Reading or Downloading a Magazine
- After you have successfully logged into your account on the RBDigital.com site, you will see the magazine you just checked out listed under the Your Library tab, beneath the Your Reading List heading.
- If you are on a PC or Mac, if you select the cover of the magazine, you will be able to read it via online streaming.
- If you are on a mobile device, if you select the cover of the magazine, the RBDigital app will open. You will be prompted to log into your RBDigital.com account on the app. Then you will be able to download the magazine to your device.
- Select the My Library tab on the app to see the magazine you have checked out.
- Click the download arrow next to the magazine title to download it to your device. You may now read the magazine offline by selecting the title.
- PC and Mac users may download a RBDigital app for downloading magazines to read and store offline. A link to the app is available at the bottom of the Find It Virginia RB Digital Gateway page listing the RBDigital titles.
- Only current issues of magazines are listed in the library collection. If you wish to keep an issue, download it to the RBDigital app on your device. It will be stored there until you delete it.
Deleting a Magazine from the RBDigital app
- Open the RBDigital app or website. Log in using your email address and password, if prompted.
- Select the My Library tab or icon, if not already selected. A list of all the magazine titles and issues that you have checked out appears.
- Select Edit.
- Select the magazine titles and issues that you wish to delete, then confirm deletion.
- If you accidentally delete a magazine issue, select Restore, then select the magazine issue(s) that you wish to restore to your device.
- Select Done to return to the list of magazines.
- When choosing a login email and password, remember that you will need to use them to log into both the https://www.rbdigital.com/fairfaxcova/ page and the RBDigital website or app.
- You cannot check out magazines in the RBDigital app. You must be logged in on the https://www.rbdigital.com/fairfaxcova/ page to check out magazines.
- If you wish to bookmark pages, then download the magazine, open it in the RBDigital app, and select the bookmark tool to bookmark pages.
- Look for additional reading tools, such as zoom, viewing text-only in a larger font, printing pages, and choices for reading layout. Reading tools vary by device and by reading method (online streaming or opening in the app).
- Specific instructions for editing and deleting magazines also vary by device, by app and by reading method, and cannot be listed individually on this page.
- Look for the Help link at the bottom of the https://www.rbdigital.com/fairfaxcova/ page for additional instructions and a technical support link.