Friends of the Oakton Library
The Friends of the Oakton Library was founded in 2001 in response to community enthusiasm for creation of the new branch. Planning and design of the building started in 2002. The groundbreaking ceremony was held on April 8, 2006, and the new Oakton Library opened on Sept. 29, 2007.
The mission of the Friends of Oakton Library is to support and enhance library resources and services and to foster a strong connection between the library and the local community.
Accomplishments as of 2015
In the eight years since the Oakton Library opened, the Friends organization has raised funds through the sale of donated books, membership dues and individual donations. These funds have supported the Library and the Fairfax County Public Library in the following ways:
- Magazine & newspaper subscriptions, materials including books, eBooks, audio books, CD and DVD resources – over $55,000;
- Replacement of worn furnishings – over $12,000;
- Programs: Summer Reading, Brain Games, LEGOs Read/Build Play, Performers and a Speaker Series featuring local authors – over $10,000;
- Special Events: National Library Week, Volunteer Fest, Branch 5th Anniversary, FCPL 75th Anniversary, 2012 Fairfax Library Foundation Jubilee, Annual Holiday Open Houses, Annual FCPL Volunteer Appreciations – over $11,000;
- Support: Annual Fairfax Library Foundation donation, Fairfax Friends Forum, Fall for the Book, Easy Readers, Ready 2 Read, other recognitions, meetings – almost $20,000;
- Habitat Maintenance: furniture, fixtures, plants, feed, supplies, Volunteer Fest – almost $7,000.
Friends’ Choice Award Recipient
October 2015 – Barbara Hippe
Two major book sales are held each year, one in the spring and one in the fall. In addition, an ongoing book sale is available in the library lobby during all open hours.
Donations of clean, gently used books, DVDs, CDs, audio books and especially children’s books are welcome and may be left on the Friends’ green book cart near the branch’s information desk. Encyclopedias, magazines and textbooks (except recent math and science) are not accepted. For larger donations, please arrange with an Oakton Library staff person to bring them to the back door. A maximum of five boxes/bags per day per donor can be accepted due to our very small storage area. Thank you to our tremendous (five days per week) volunteer sorting staff! Fairfax County Public Library donation policies are outlined here.
Oakton Friends Newsletter
September 2015 – This quarterly newsletter is emailed to all members of the Friends of Oakton Library.
Membership is open to all who support the purpose of the group. Dues are $10 for individuals and $25 for families.
To become a Friend of the Oakton Library, please complete the online form or use the form found on the final page of the newsletter (above).
Board meetings are held on the third Tuesday of most months at 7:30 p.m. in the library meeting room. The annual meeting of the Friends is held on the third Tuesday of January.
Friends Officers and Board
President: Corinne Savage
First Vice President: Jim Milstead
Second Vice President: Jane Sharnoff
Secretary: Barbara Hippe
Treasurer: Fred Pitman
Book Sale: Ralph Tener, Carole Dowd
Membership: Jackie Giovannelli, Ann Balch
Newsletter: Ann Balch
Hospitality: Jackie Giovannelli, Carol Fay
Speaker Series: Tooley Milstead, Lauren Crum