Fairfax County Energy Policy
To formally adopt an Energy Policy to assist and guide County agencies, schools, and authorities in:
- Promoting energy efficiency and conservation in County buildings, facilities, operations, and vehicles;
- Promoting energy efficiency and conservation practices among County employees, employers, and residents;
- Advancing the goal of reducing energy consumption; and
Supporting the Board’s Environmental Agenda and the Cool Counties
Climate Stabilization Initiative.
The Board of Supervisors’ Environmental Agenda describes environmental stewardship as both a key responsibility and a critical legacy of any elected public body. Essential elements of the Environmental Agenda include the efficient and prudent use of energy resources, the promotion of energy conservation, support for alternative energy sources, and outreach to County employees, employers, and residents.
Energy efficiency and conservation are vital components of intergovernmental environmental efforts. Local government actions play a fundamental role in implementing these energy efficiency and conservation efforts.
Over a number of years, Fairfax County agencies, schools, and authorities have made notable strides towards improving the energy efficiency of their buildings, facilities, operations, and vehicles. However, by coordinating efforts, setting goals, and implementing energy-saving and alternative-energy projects and technologies, the County can make further progress in saving energy, thereby reducing emissions.
In response to the need to increase and encourage coordination of resources, the County Executive has established an Energy Efficiency and Conservation Coordinating Committee. This Committee will serve as a comprehensive interagency forum for cross-organizational collaboration and coordination of energy efficiency and conservation efforts. In evaluating strategies and projects, the Committee will consider return on investment, which includes short- and long-term tangible and intangible benefits. Although the Committee’s focus is energy efficiency and conservation, it is anticipated that its work will also advance the County’s environmental goals.
The establishment of a formal Energy Policy will provide guidance and
direction to the Committee in its efforts to develop a comprehensive
energy program that can proactively promote the development and
application of energy efficiency and conservation programs. This
policy will aid in the coordination and collaboration with County
agencies, schools, and authorities, and residents, employers, and
It is the policy of Fairfax County government to promote the following measures in order to conserve and manage energy resources in a pragmatic way based on a review of the costs and benefits that is consistent with the Board of Supervisors’ Environmental Agenda and the Cool Counties Climate Stabilization Initiative:
- Energy efficiency and conservation in buildings, facilities, operations and vehicles;
- The use of alternative and sustainable energy options;
- Waste reduction and recycling;
- The use of more fuel efficient and alternative fuel vehicles in an appropriately-sized county transportation fleet;
- Implementation of energy efficiency and conservation projects that have a return on investment which includes short- or long-term tangible or intangible benefits, and support environmental goals;
- Distributed energy projects in which energy is generated on-site, rather than transmitted;
- Land use patterns and transportation systems that serve to reduce energy usage;
- Intergovernmental energy efficiency efforts; and
- Energy efficiency and conservation efforts by County employees, employers, and residents.