Your 2017 Car Tax Bill; What You Need to Know
More than 800,000 personal property (car) tax bills were mailed to county residents this summer. Your tax payment is due Oct. 5. For more information, visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta.
Here is what you need to know:
The 2017 Personal Property Tax bill includes a Local
Registration Fee for vehicles regularly garaged, stored
or parked in Fairfax County. This is separate and distinct from the
state registration fee paid to the Virginia DMV. Other than a safety
inspection sticker, Fairfax County does not require the display of a
physical windshield decal.
The Town of Clifton and the Town of Herndon have eliminated the requirement to display a local registration windshield decal. Pursuant to state law, each town will continue to charge a Local Registration Fee, but there is no longer a physical decal.
Also for residents of the Town of Clifton and Town of Herndon, Fairfax County Personal Property tax bills now include the Local Registration Fee charged by those towns. Fairfax County, the Town of Clifton, and the Town of Herndon have entered into a compact whereby the County will bill and collect the current registration fee on behalf of the towns, and will forward the registration fees to each town as appropriate. The town fee will now be prorated upon the sale or move of the vehicle.
You can pay your town fees and County Personal Property taxes by one check made payable to the County of Fairfax. Payment should only be made to the Fairfax County Department of Tax Administration (DTA). Registration Fee payments are no longer accepted at Clifton and Herndon town offices.
Residents of the Town of Vienna must still pay town registration fees directly to Vienna. Fairfax County is not billing Vienna town fees at this time.
- You may qualify for tax relief, if you are a senior at least 65 years old, or permanently and totally disabled, a disabled veteran, or a spouse of a veteran killed in action. More information and forms are available at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta, or call 703-222-8234 (TTY 711).
- Avoid the last minute rush and get faster service. If you have a question or concern about your tax bill, you should contact the Department of Tax Administration at your earliest convenience, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at 703-222-8234 (TTY 711), or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are several convenient ways to pay. Note: In order to
complete an electronic transaction, you will need the last 4 digits
of your vehicle identification # (VIN) and property # as shown on
your tax bill. If you do not have a bill with you, you will need
your DMV Customer Number and the last 4 digits of your vehicle’s VIN.
- Online – The most convenient way to pay your tax is online. Go to www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta and follow the directions.
- By Mail – Detach the bottom of your bill and send in the full amount by check payable to County of Fairfax. Do Not Send Correspondence with your bill. Send an email to email@example.com, or send correspondence to DTA, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 223, Fairfax, VA 22035. Postmark must be by the due date to avoid late charges. If a check is returned by the bank unpaid, a $50 charge will be added and the payment is void.
- Pay With Cash – Pay by cash at the customer service desk at any Northern Virginia Shoppers Food location, or at other participating retailers. For a list of retailers who accept your tax payment, visit www.globalexpress.net, click on store locator. You must have your bill and pay the exact amount due; a $1.25 service fee will be charged by Global Express per transaction.
- Mobile App – Download the free Fairfax County app by searching Fairfax County Government on Google Play or the Apple App Store. Once you download and launch the Fairfax County app, look for the Services icon. Click on the Services icon and look for the Car Tax icon. Follow the simple directions. You will be able to see your current balance due and any prior year taxes due. A third- party service fee applies for paying with a debit or credit card.
- QR Code on Your Bill –Your bill has a QR (Quick Response) barcode printed on the top right-hand corner (above your amount due). Use the QR code reader on your smartphone to directly access the online tax payment site. Follow the simple directions. You will be able to see your current balance due and any prior year taxes due. A third-party service fee applies for paying with a debit or credit card.
- In Person – (Long lines are possible close to the Oct. 5 deadline.) Pay in person at the Government Center, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 223, Fairfax, VA 22035, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (open Thursdays until 6:30 p.m.) or Saturday, Sept. 30, 8 a.m. to noon. You are encouraged to pay online or by mail to avoid standing in line.
- Electronic Check – Go to www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta and pay by electronic check. Provide information from your check and your bank account will be automatically debited. No service fee is charged.
- Credit Card – Call 703-222-6740, (TTY 711) to pay by telephone or go to www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta to pay online. A 2.5 percent third-party service fee is charged for credit card payments (as allowed by state law).
- At Banks – This service is no longer available.