3 Easy Steps to Report Streetlight Outages

streetlight map sample

Streetlights, like light bulbs at home, don’t last forever.

One way you can help is by reporting streetlight outages in your neighborhood and in other areas you frequent.

Reporting an outage is simple and helps keeps neighborhoods safe; it also helps keep pedestrians visible and safe.

Streetlights along public roadways in Fairfax County are typically maintained by Dominion Virginia Power or the Northern Virginia Electric Cooperative (NOVEC). The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) operates the streetlights along interstates and at major interchanges.


3 Steps to Report a Streetlight Outage

  1. Look for the pole ID number, which can be found on the pole. Write it down or take a photo.
  2. If you can’t find the pole number or if you notice a streetlight outage while driving, use the online streetlight locator tool to find pole numbers. Zoom in on the map to see streetlight locations.
  3. After finding the streetlight on the map, call the phone number listed or report it online in the link provided on the map.

streetlight map

If a particular streetlight is not on the map, it may be privately maintained by a homeowners association or other group.

If you need additional assistance, call 703-324-5111, TTY 711.



Read previous post:
photo of boots of a homeless person on bench.
Meeting the Challenge; Housing Homeless Veterans

Every month, an additional dozen or more homeless veterans are identified in Fairfax County. During the winter months, that number can...