Fairfax County took another step in turning a 49-acre area north of Reston Town Center into a walkable, mixed-use neighborhood with public services. On Sept. 22, the Board of Supervisors signed off on an agreement with Inova to pursue the joint rezoning of most of the site.
The area is currently home to the Reston Library, Embry Rucker Shelter, Reston Police Station, North County Governmental Center, and North County Human Services Building, along with Inova’s Sunrise Assisted Living Facility, Emergency Care Center and vacated Cameron Glen Rehab Center. The county’s vision calls for improving the current county services at this site, integrating them into a new mixed-use community with housing, shops, restaurants and a publicly-accessible central green open space.
- Publicly-accessible open space in the form of a central green
- Expanded library to serve growing population
- Upgraded delivery of human services
- Affordable housing provided for workforce
- Mixed-use development compatible with adjacent Reston Town Center
- Walkable community connected to surrounding communities, Reston Town Center and public transportation