Good news! The Commonwealth of Virginia has expanded the list of those who are eligible for Medicaid and applications are now being accepted for coverage, which will go into effect Jan. 1, 2019. Even if you were not previously eligible for Medicaid, you may now be able to enroll if you meet the revised program requirements.
According to the Commonwealth Institute’s latest projections as of January 2018, an additional 28,000 individuals in Fairfax County may be eligible for Medicaid.
Adults without children are now eligible for Medicaid and income caps have been expanded for families and people with disabilities. As of Nov. 1, the following are now eligible and encouraged to apply for Medicaid:
- Adults ages 19-64
- Not Medicare eligible
- Income from up to 138% of the federal poverty line
- Single Adult earning up to $16,753
- Parent in family of four earning up to $34,638
Do you qualify for health benefits? Check out the Eligibilty Screening Tool to find out.
In addition to expanding the list of people who are eligible, Medicaid has expanded services. These services will have a positive impact on our community by increasing access to comprehensive health care and improving health outcomes. New Medicaid services provide coverage in a variety of wellness areas including:
- Doctor, hospital and emergency services
- Prescription drugs, medical equipment and supplies
- Behavioral health services (including addiction and recovery treatment services)
- Rehabilitative services (including physical, occupational and speech therapies)
- Preventive and wellness services
- Chronic disease management services
- Apply Online
- Apply by Phone at 1-855-242-8282 or 703-324-7500 (TTY 711)
- Apply in Person at a Department of Family Services office Monday through Friday, between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. No appointment is needed.
- Watch the video below for more details