There once was a young poet in Fairfax County
Who loved to write pretty words a plenty
Then hark! a contest was announced
About why we love our parks (so lovely and sunny!)
So get busy all you talented young writers of prose
And we really hope you write much better poems than this…
Calling all young poets in Fairfax County – show us your way with words and you could win a $50 gift card. We’re celebrating the Park Authority’s 65th anniversary and National Poetry Day with a poetry contest for children (and park lovers!) ages 5 through 13 years old.
- Tell us why you love parks in your finest prose in under 100 words.
- All submissions must be original, however help from parents or older siblings is encouraged. (All submissions become the property of the Park Authority and may be republished).
- Only one poem may be entered by each contestant.
- All submissions must be received by Friday, Sept. 25. Winners will be announced by Oct. 3.
- Entries can be submitted electronically at Why I Love Parks Poetry Contest You may also mail to: FCPA Poetry Contest, 12055 Government Center Parkway, Suite 927, Fairfax, VA 22035. Please include a completed entry form if submitted by mail.
- Entries may be handwritten or typed (remember – 100 words or less).
- Authors must provide name, address, phone and email and age.
A panel of judges from the Park Authority will select six winners based on originality, creativity, clarity, relevance to theme and spelling; two winners from each by age category:
- 5 to 7 years old
- 8 to 10 years old
- 11 to 13 years old
Winners will receive a certificate of achievement, as well as a $50 gift card. Winners will be invited to read their poems at Frying Pan Farm Park on Saturday, Oct. 10.
For more information, contact the Park Authority at 703-324-8662, TTY 711.