Are you one of thousands of commuters slowly inching your way along I-66 to work every day? The Transform 66 Outside the Beltway project will bring huge improvements to the highway, but first we have to get through the construction phase. The good news is that this summer is a good time to check out options that can reduce your commuting stress and save you money, too!
Consider These Your I-66 Commuter Summer Survival Tips:
Since it was launched last December, the popular Connector Bus Route 699 from the Fairfax County Government Center to D.C. has been averaging about 240 daily riders. These commuters enjoy a 30-minute air conditioned, stress-free drive to D.C. Sound good? Here are more reasons to consider this option:
- Free parking is available at the Government Center lot.
- Morning service from the Government Center begins at 5:40 a.m. and operates every 20 minutes with last departure at 8:25 a.m.
- Afternoon service from D.C. begins at 3:25 p.m. and operates every 22 minutes, from Virginia Ave. and 21st St., NW. Last departure from D.C. is at 6:43 p.m. from 19th St. and F St., NW.
- Cost is only $4.25 each way and you can use cash or your SmarTrip card. (Cost for older adults and people with disabilities is $2.10)
- Need to leave D.C. midday? Take Metro Orange Line to Vienna and connect to Connector Route 621, which will bring you to the Government Center.
- Bonus – Our buses have bike racks so you can continue your travels in D.C. on two wheels.
Listen: Our Department of Transportation Director Tom Biesiadny outlines the benefits of using Connector Route 699 to commute to D.C.
Commuters driving on I-66 from west of Vienna should consider using the VRE Manassas Line (via Burke Centre) to Crystal City, L’Enfant Plaza, or Union Station. There is plenty of free parking at the Burke Centre station garage .
The region’s Commuter Connections’ Pool Rewards program provides up to $130 for new carpoolers through a trip-tracking process. Commuters who start a three-person carpool on I-66 through 2020 can receive an additional $100 cash reward. These carpools are also eligible for Commuter Connections’ Guaranteed Ride Home program.