Our Health Department recently announced the 10 winners of its 14 Carrot Gold Food Safety Excellence Award.
These award-winning food service operations are being recognized for maintaining outstanding food safety practices and employee education. The winners were selected from the more than 3,400 permitted establishments inspected each year by environmental health specialists with the Health Department. Food service establishments can be nominated for the award by members of the food service industry, the public or from health inspectors.
- Annandale High School, 4700 Medford Dr., Annandale.
- Atrium Catering & Event Design, 263 Sunset Park Dr., Herndon.
- Aurora House Girls Group Home, 420 South Maple Ave., Falls Church.
- Five Guys Burgers and Fries, 8971 Ox Road, Lorton.
- FLIK at Freddie Mac HQ4 Café, 1551 Park Run Dr., McLean.
- Moe’s Southwest Grill, 5005 Westone Plaza, Chantilly.
- Qdoba, 10338 Main St., Fairfax.
- Ruby Tuesday, 7692 Richmond Highway, Alexandria.
- Simply Elegant, 11600 Sunrise Valley Dr., Reston.
- Wegmans Food Markets, 11620 Monument Dr., Fairfax.
To be eligible for consideration, recipients of the 14 Carrot Gold awards cannot have any critical violations during inspections conducted in the last 24 months and no more than six non-critical violations in the past year. The facility must also have a valid permit to operate and be in good standing with the Health Department.
The Health Department’s Environmental Health division conducts close to 8,500 site visits at more than 3,400 restaurant and food service establishments annually in Fairfax County and the cities of Fairfax and Falls Church. Health inspectors look for potential risk factors that contribute to foodborne illness, such as an unapproved food source, poor food employee hygiene, improper cooking temperatures, inadequate cold and hot holding of food, and cleanliness of food contact surfaces.
Watch: Behind the Scenes at a Food Service Establishment Inspection in Fairfax County