Employment Opportunities - Northern Virginia Soil and Water Conservation District
Northern Virginia Soil and Water Conservation District
Environmental Communications Internship - Fall 2017
This fall internship position will support the Northern Virginia Soil and Water Conservation District's website transition and content update. Our website and online communications reach hundreds of thousands of people each year and provide significant technical resources and educational information to the public. Our website content management system, provided by Fairfax County, will be undergoing a website reconstruction upgrade to a Drupal-based system from August to November. Interested applicants should email their resume, accompanied by a cover letter and contact information for two references to NVSWCD at email@example.com by Sunday, August 27, 2017.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The fall intern will undertake the following activities to support the NVSWCD website reconstruction:
- Create pages and widgets to bring existing content into the new system.
- Review page content for opportunities to update with more recent and relevant information.
- Contribute ideas for integrating and optimizing the tools and functionalities of the new Drupal-based system.
- Update links, images, and accessibility information using basic HTML and Drupal tools.
- Ensure file path consistency to maximize continued web traffic to top performing pages and an organized system.
- Troubleshoot issues as they arise with the new system.
- Compile feedback and lessons learned for future website efforts.
- Create an internal archive of existing website pages and images that will not be brought over to the new system.
- Support additional NVSWCD outreach and communications efforts as needed.
Skills and Abilities:
- Learns quickly, not afraid to troubleshoot independently and ask questions.
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational abilities.
- Strong writing skills.
- Professionalism with partners and public.
- Able to work independently; trustworthy and assumes responsibility easily.
- Performs well on a team, excellent relationship with colleagues and supervisors.
- Self-starter, able to meet deadlines.
- Desired: Experience with HTML or web editing software, communications or outreach experience.
The intern must display professionalism, patience, attention to detail, a willingness to learn and a good sense of humor. This is an excellent opportunity for a graduate level student or recent graduate.
Terms and Compensation:
- September 11, 2017 - November 17, 2017
- 10 weeks, 20 hours/week, $15/hr.
- The intern will be paid every other week with staff payroll.
- Taxes will be withheld.
- This is a limited-term position that does not include benefits.
- 12055 Government Center Parkway, Suite 905, Fairfax, VA 22035.
The Northern Virginia Soil and Water Conservation District is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Its programs, activities and employment opportunities are available to all people regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, or political affiliation.