[ 8511 Greeley Blvd. ] [ Springfield, VA 22152 ] [ 703-451-9588 ]
Hidden Pond Fieldtrip Programs
SCHOOL YEAR 2017-18 field trips requests are now OPEN.
SUMMER SCHOOL field trip requests are now CLOSED.
To sign up, check the Availability Calendar, make your date selection, and submit a reservation request. Click the subject titles below for details and link to the calendar.
Located in West Springfield, Hidden Pond Nature Center and Park feature a pond, streams, and vernal pools surrounded by a mixed hardwood forest. The nature center has an exhibit area featuring native aquatic reptile, amphibian, and invertebrate species that can be found in Fairfax County. The center also features a classroom for the indoor parts of our interpretive programs.
Hidden Pond has ample picnic area for groups wishing to have lunch or snack on site. Listed below are our programs for grades K-7. Any program can be tailored to meet the Science Standards of Learning categories listed. Some of our programs may be brought to your school, subject to staff availability. If you have any questions please call 703-451-9588.
Hidden Pond's new school programs have a stronger focus on SOLs while still giving students a hands-on experience in nature. We offer field trips and outreach programs for all grade levels.
Registering for School Programs: To sign up for / request a school program, please click on the calendar link or the specific program listed below that you are interested in. This will take you to our online calendar, where you can view what time slots we have for specific days, and whether they are available or reserved. Click on the desired day and click 'submit reservation request', where you will be taken to a page where you can fill out all supplemental information that we use to create your program.
Field Trip Cost
- 1 hour program: $6/student
- 1.5 hour program: $7/student
- 2 hour program: $8 student
- Teachers and teacher aides are FREE!
- There is a required 1:10 adult/student ratio. Adults meeting this ratio are FREE.
- Additional adults are welcome at the full student rate.
Field Trip Add-ons
Put a little more fun in your field trip with Additional Activities! All activities run for 30 minutes and can be added to any program listed above. Maximum of 2 hour field trip.
- Pond Netting: Students use nets to explore the pond habitat, often catching animals such as fish, shrimp, tadpoles, and turtles!
- Animal Talk: Hidden Pond's animal exhibits are everyone's favorite! Learn about some of our most popular animals and meet them up close.
- Bugs and Decomposers Activity: Go exploring for bugs or other decomposers while learning about the organisms that help recycle nutrients back into the environment.
- Stream Study: Visit the stream and use nets to catch fish and macroinvertebrates. Students learn how to identify clean and polluted water ways based on the animals collected.
Where are the Old Programs?
We understand that teachers loved our old programs! We did, too. In the process of reorganizing our offerings, some of your favorite programs got renamed or merged with another program. The chart below should help you identify what you're looking for. If you have any questions, give us a call and we can help find the right program for you.
|Looking For||Try This|
|Insects and Other Invertebrates||Virginia Native Wildlife|
What Season is It?
A Hike for the Senses (PreK-1)
|Field, Forest and Edges Plant Study||Virginia's Natural Resources|
|4th Grade Ecosystems||Wetland Ecosystems|
|Reptiles and Amphibians||
Virginia Native Wildlife
Life Cycles of the Smooth and Scaly
|Wildlife Evidence||Virginia Native Wildlife|
|Animal Adaptations Outreach||Virginia Native Wildlife Outreach|
|The Adventurous Seed Outreach||Schoolyard Hike Outreach|
|Seeds of Success Outreach||Schoolyard Hike Outreach|
Let us bring the joy of nature to your classroom! Hidden Pond Naturalists bring activities to you, so you can save money on busses and still give your students a great experience learning about nature.