Online Services

Our Government

News and Events

Maps, Facts & Stats

State & Federal

Frequently Asked Questions

Cabell's Mill | Clark House | Great Falls Grange | Hunter House | Forestville Schoolhouse | Stone Mansion | Wakefield Chapel

HPRS Collage | Introduction Visit our properties online and see why History Loves Company

From the rustic life at Cabell's Mill to the life of the privileged class at Stone Mansion, the historic properties under the stewardship of the Fairfax County Park Authority offer a unique representation of early life in Fairfax County.

The facilities operated by Historic Properties Rental Services are suitable for all types of functions - weddings, receptions, parties and other social gatherings, as well as a variety of corporate meetings and events.


How late can I hold my event?
Evening functions must be cleaned up and out by midnight on weekends (Friday - Sunday).  On Christmas Eve and New Years' Eve, functions must end by 6pm.

When can I visit the sites?
All of our sites are open by appointment.

How do I schedule an appointment (or appointments) to view the sites?
Please contact us to schedule viewing times.

What is included with my rental?
Your rental includes use of the building, immediate grounds area, and a limited number of tables and chairs. It is up to you or your caterer to arrange for any additional equipment you may need, including tent rental.

What are your catering requirements?
You are welcome to use the professional caterer of your choice at any of our reception sites. Caterers must provide us with copies of their certificate of insurance, business license and health department certification of their kitchen. Receptions are not allowed at the Wakefield Chapel.

Can I have a pot-luck dinner or provide food from home?
Self-catering is permitted only at the Great Falls Grange and Clark House.

Do you allow tents?
Tenting is permitted at Cabell's Mill, Dranesville Tavern, Hunter House and Stone Mansion. If your tent exceeds 900 square feet and/or is occupied by more than 50 people, you will be required to obtain a Fire Prevention Code Permit from the Fire Marshal's office.

Do you allow alcohol?
There is a $200 Alcohol Beverage Use Fee for your permit to have alcohol at our reception sites. Alcohol is prohibited at the Wakefield Chapel. If your caterer does not have a permit to serve alcohol, you must also apply for a banquet license from the Virginia Alcohol Beverage Control Commission. The bar must be set up inside the building; guests may consume beverages outside, as long as it is within the designated rental area.

What are your decorating policies?
At all of our sites, we prohibit tacking, taping, nailing or stapling to the walls or any fixtures. Confetti, birdseed, and live flower petals may also not be scattered or thrown. Candles are permitted at Cabell's Mill, Clark House, Hunter House, Stone Mansion and Wakefield Chapel. The flames must be enclosed and there must be something underneath the candle to catch wax drips.

Can I have a DJ?
DJ's and amplified music are permitted at all of our sites. Bass should be kept to a minimum to reduce damage to the building due to vibration. Outdoor music must be kept within applicable noise ordinance levels. Outdoor noise will be monitored at the Stone Mansion. All music must end at least one hour prior to the end of your contracted time.

Do you allow dancing?
Dancing is permitted at all of our reception locations.

How far in advance can I book a site?
All contracts are taken on a first come, first served basis. Contracts are taken up to one year in advance, based on calendar month. On the first business day of the month, we will begin to accept contracts for any date in that month for the following calendar year. Patrons who are at our administrative offices at Fairfax County Park Authority, 12055 Government Center Parkway Suite 425, Fairfax, VA 22035 when it opens are given first priority when booking a site on the first day of the month.

How do I make a reservation?
A contract for use must be completed and returned to our offices, along with payment of the appropriate deposit. If the reservation is less than two months away, payment in full (deposit plus rental fees) is required.

What forms of payment do you accept?
We accept VISA, MasterCard and checks. Cash payments may also be made at our office in Fairfax.

What are your cancellation policies?
Cancellations must be received in writing. Once a contract has been signed and processed, a cancellation fee of 1/2 of the security/cleanup deposit will be assessed for any cancellation made more than 60 days prior to the date of the rental. If cancellation is less than 60 days prior to the date of the rental, the entire security/cleanup deposit will be withheld. Additionally, at least a portion of prepaid rental fees are withheld if cancellation is made less than 60 days prior to the date of the event.

Can't find an answer to your question?
Contact Us

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version