Park Board Gets Update on Mt. Vernon RECenter Renewal Plans
Planning continues for a major facelift for the Fairfax County Park Authority’s Mt. Vernon RECenter in Alexandria, Va. The Park Board got an update on the renovation and expansion plans at its meeting on January 25, 2017.
The Park Authority, in partnership with the Fairfax County Department of Public Works and Environmental Services Building Design and Construction Division, decided to procure Architectural and Engineering services via an open solicitation in November 2016 to design the RECenter improvements and prepare construction documents. A design contract is expected to be awarded by May 2017 with the project kickoff for design in late May.
Mt. Vernon RECenter, located at 2017 Belle View Boulevard, features an indoor ice rink and natatorium with a 25-meter pool. It was built in two phases in the late 1970s and 1980s with only structural and mechanical renovations over the years and additions to the pool in 2001. A facility assessment in 2014 determined that most of the building systems are nearing the end of their lifecycle. A feasibility study/market analysis for renovation and expansion of the RECenter was completed in early 2016 and plans for a renovation and expansion project were included in the 2016 Park Bond. The final Feasibility Study Report can be viewed online. Also, the Facility Condition Assessment and Life Cycle Cost Analysis report is available online.
Plans for renovation and expansion of the RECenter will include:
- Renovation of the existing core facilities, including public spaces and multi-purpose rooms.
- Lifecycle replacement of existing building systems, including the pool systems.
- Expansion of the building for additional fitness spaces, additional multi-purpose space and expansion of the locker room facilities to include accessible family rooms.
- Renovation of the building exterior and site infrastructure to support a building expansion.
- Potential for an addition of a second sheet of ice to National Hockey League dimensions, including required support spaces.
- Potential for an addition of a leisure pool, including required support spaces.
Park Authority staff expect to complete design documents for the renovation and expansion within 18 months of awarding the design contract.
For more information, please call the Public Information Office at 703-324-8662.