This is no ordinary housework. In some ways, it’s historic.
The main house at Sully Historic Site is closed to the public for the first five months of 2020. The historic house is undergoing structural repair and maintenance, and it is scheduled to be closed into May. Exhibits, historic artifacts and furniture in the house are safely protected and packed to make room for work crews.
The historic site’s grounds, outbuildings and visitor center are open, and the center is the main point of contact for all visitors. The visitor center is open Wednesdays through Sundays. Tours of the Fairfax County Park Authority property will resume in March, weather permitting. Cooking classes and demonstrations, scout programs, and all outreach programs continue.
Regular tours of the outbuildings and slave quarter cabin will be offered at least twice a day beginning in mid-March, and the site’s trails remain open. The only building affected by the contracted work is the site’s main house.
The repairs and maintenance at the main house are funded by the 2016 Park Bond. Repairs include work on siding and shutters, plaster and floors as well as painting and an electrical upgrade.
Sully Historic Site is on the National Register of Historic Places, accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, on the National Park Service’s Underground Railroad Network to Freedom, and part of the Virginia Civil War Trails. The house was built in 1794 and completed in 1799 by Richard Bland Lee, Northern Virginia’s first Representative to Congress.
12000 Government Center Pkwy
Fairfax, VA 22035