Online Services

Our Government

News and Events

Maps, Facts & Stats

State & Federal

Park F.A.Q.

Find answers to questions regarding:

Facility Use, Reservations

1) How can I reserve a park or shelter for 75 or more people?

Call Park Services at 703-324-8680 to reserve and to obtain required public gathering permit and information on Department of Health requirements if a concession or the sale of food and drink are involved.

2) How can I reserve a park for less than 75 people?

No reservation is necessary - first come, first serve basis. Check the athletic field schedule with the Recreation Department at (703-324-5533) if applicable to determine if park is available.

3) When will the tennis/basketball court lights be turned on for evening play?

Near or on March 29th. Courts at Wakefield and Lee District remain lighted throughout the year.

4) How can I schedule to use an athletic field?

All Park Authority athletic fields and school fields are scheduled by the Fairfax County Department of Community and Recreation Services. They may be contacted by calling 703-324-5533.

5) How do I reserve tennis courts for lessons, camps or tournaments?

Courts can be reserved by calling the Park Services Division at 703-324-8680.

6) Where can I schedule and get information on soccer camps?

Call the Park Services Division at 703-324-8680.

7) Where can I get information on your Adopt-A-Field or Adopt-A-Park programs?

Call the Park Operations Division at 703-324-8594.

8) What time do the parks close?

All parks close at dark with the exception of lighted facilities. If you are inquiring about a particular facility within a park, like a recreation center, you may call them directly.

Maintenance Issues


1) When will a park or field be mowed?

Call the Park Operations Division at 703-324-8594 for a particular park's mowing schedule.

2) Where do I call to arrange for the removal of hazardous trees on park land?

Call the Park Operations Division at 703-324-8594. Please note that in most cases trees requiring removal are felled and left in undeveloped areas of the park to provide shelter/habitat for animals living in the park.

3) Are live trees removed from park land?

Live trees are sometimes removed from park land if, once inspected by our Forestry Crew, it is determined that the tree may pose a threat to the general public or adjacent structures.

4) Where do I call to report playground equipment requiring repairs?

Required repairs may be reported to the Park Operations Division at 703-324-8594.

5) Who do I call if I discover a dead animal in the park?

You may call the Park Operations Division at 703-324-8594 to arrange for its removal.

6) Beavers are building a dam which is impacting private property. Who do I call?

All concerns regarding beavers or any other wildlife may be relayed to the Resource Management Division. You may call them at 703-324-8674 to schedule an inspection for an assessment and recommendation.

7) How do I stop my neighbors from dumping or encroaching onto park land?

Please call the Park Operations Division at 703-324-8594 to report any possible illegal dumping or encroaching onto park land. The information will be forwarded to an inspector who will check the area and take appropriate action. It may also require the installation of a "No Dumping" sign. It is also recommended that the area's neighborhood association include a message in their newsletter informing their neighbors that dumping and encroaching onto park land is illegal.

8) How often is trash removed from the parks?

Routinely, trash cans are emptied every Monday from our parks. If a Monday falls on a holiday, the trash cans will be emptied on the following Tuesday.

9) I have discovered poison ivy in the park. Who do I call to get it removed?

Poison ivy is not routinely removed from park land unless it is near a playground, on a trail or other high-use area. Poison ivy is native to Virginia and is considered a natural part of our parks.

10) A tree from county owned property falls onto my property. What do I do?

In most cases, if a tree falls on your property as a result of a natural disaster, the cost of removing the tree and any debris is your responsibility. This should be reported to your homeowner's insurance company, and they will provide guidance on what you should do. Do not assume the County of Fairfax will arrange for tree removal. Read More

Weather-related Closings


1) How can I find out if an athletic field is opened or closed during inclement weather?

Information on the closing of athletic fields is provided by the Department of Recreation's information line at 703-324-5264. The current day's closings are posted after 12 Noon. Check Park Authority field status online or by calling 703-324-5264 .

2) Who do I call to find out if a park is closed due to inclement weather?

Call the Weather Hot-line: 703-324-8661

In weather-related emergencies, Park Authority programs, classes and events at park facilities and schools will be cancelled based upon the closing decision of Fairfax County Public Schools.

In the case of inclement weather, see our Weather-Related Closures page. 

More information on Fairfax County Public School inclement weather policies can be found at www.fcps.edu/news/weather.htm.

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version