Building, mechanical, plumbing and electrical inspections are required by state law to ensure new construction complies with the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code. Existing elevators/escalators and backflow preventers require additional periodic inspections, testing and county-acceptance to ensure these critical systems continue to function properly over their lifetime.
Inspections of New Construction
There are also several Project Specific Guidelines available to assist you with inspection requirements. Popular publications for residential construction are Decks, Finished Basements and Additions. There are also publications available for commercial construction that provide information on New Commercial Buildings and Tenant Layouts.
- Special Inspections
- Inspections Metrics
- Residential Third Party Foundation Program Request and Submission Form
- Third Party Inspections Program
- Request an After-Hour Electrical Inspections (must be made 48 hours in advance)
- Vent/Chimney Certification
- Electrical Underground Certification Form
- Sewer Video Submission
Call 703-631-5101, TTY 711, for more information on inspections for new construction.
- Elevator and Escalator
- Backflow Preventors – Cross Connections Control and Backflow Prevention Program