As of June 10, 2020, the Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) will be meeting electronically due to the State of Emergency caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Please refer to the BZA meeting agendas page for the current status of meetings and public hearings. Copies of the staff reports are available online at LDSnet, and are also on file and available for review with the Department of Planning and Development. To arrange to view the documents, please contact the Clerk to the Board of Zoning Appeals at 703-324-1280.
Instructions For All Electronic Meetings
When meetings are held electronically, no in-person testimony will be heard. Testimony may be provided as follows:
- Submit Written Testimony: By e-mail to BZAClerkMail@fairfaxcounty.gov or mail to Clerk to the Board of Zoning Appeals, Department of Planning and Development, 12055 Government Center Parkway, Suite 801, Fairfax, VA 22035. To ensure that information submitted concerning applications currently pending before the BZA will be included with the Board package materials distributed to the BZA members, the information must be received prior to 3:00 p.m. on the Tuesday one week before the meeting at which the application is scheduled. Any emails/correspondence received after that time up to 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday the day before a hearing will be distributed to the Board members the evening before or morning of the hearing. ANY CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED AFTER THE DEADLINES WILL NOT BE DISTRIBUTED TO THE BZA MEMBERS OR INCLUDED AS PART OF THE OFFICIAL RECORD ONCE A FINAL DECISION IS MADE ON AN APPLICATION. If a hearing is continued, deferred, or decision deferred to another date, any correspondence that was received after the initial deadlines, but before the new deadlines of the date the hearing was moved to, will become part of the permanent file.
- (Pre-register) By Phone: Register to Speak no later than 3:00 p.m. the day before the hearing; staff will call you after registering to confirm your preferred method of testifying and provide additional information.
- (Pre-register) By Video: Register to Speak and submit a YouTube Video below no later than 3:00 p.m. two days before the hearing. Staff will call you after registering to confirm your preferred method of testifying and provide additional information. Guidelines for video submissions are provided below.
- (Day of) By Phone: Persons who did not pre-register may call the number provided on‑screen during the hearing to provide testimony.
For both phone and video testimony, you may speak as an individual for three minutes; if you are the spokesperson for a group (such as a homeowners association), you may speak for five minutes.
All meetings will be televised on Channel 16 (closed captioning available), streamed live online and available to view on demand following the meeting. Live audio of the meeting may also be accessed by dialing 703-324-5300.
Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs, services and activities and supports the Americans with Disabilities Act by making reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities. For additional information on ADA, call (703) 324-1334 (TTY 711 Virginia Relay Center).
Instructions for Video Testimony Submissions
Members of the public may submit video testimony for the Board of Zoning Appeals public meetings. Public hearings are held in the Board Auditorium at the Fairfax County Government Center, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035.
If you are registering to testify via video, please note the following:
- You must sign up online for the Speaker’s List before submitting a video or by calling the Clerk to the Board of Zoning Appeals at 703-324-1280.
- Your comments must be limited to issues relevant to the public hearing matter for which you are testifying.
- You may speak for three minutes as an individual; if you are the spokesperson for a group you may speak for five minutes.
- All videos submitted must be appropriate (see disclaimer below).
- Requests must be fully completed by 3 p.m. two days before the hearing to be considered.
- Your video must be uploaded to—and playable from—YouTube.
- Videos that meet the criteria listed above will be played during the public hearing.
Video Testimony Submission Form
Video Testimony Submission Notice and Disclaimer
Fairfax County will accept video testimony for consideration during Board of Zoning Appeals public hearings. Video testimony must adhere to the same expectation for in-person presentations (three minutes given to individuals for testimony, five minutes given to individuals representing a group). Comments must be limited to issues relevant to the public hearing matter for which you are testifying, and speakers must deliver their comments with the decorum and respect appropriate to the conduct of the public's business. Out-of-order remarks or other indecorous conduct will not be accepted. Speakers may only testify once during the public hearings; speakers may not testify via video and in person. Video testimony will be reviewed prior to public hearings and videos not meeting these standards will not be played during Board public hearings.
By submitting video testimony, you agree that the County may distribute it as the County deems necessary or appropriate, including via broadcast and web-streaming to general public audiences. You grant Fairfax County an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, and broadcast the video. You represent and warrant that you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, and permissions to grant the County those rights, and that you have secured all necessary permissions and releases from any person and for any copyrighted material contained in your video.
You agree that you will hold Fairfax County harmless for any claims for infringement or violation of rights resulting from the use of your video. You acknowledge that the video must meet Fairfax County requirements and that the video will be rejected if it does not meet those requirements, in the sole opinion of Fairfax County.