Please review the permit limitations, permitted home occupations, and permit requirements below. For mailed applications, please allow up to two weeks processing time. If you have further questions regarding a Home Occupation Permit, please contact the Zoning Permit Review Branch.
Riding lessons, other than as permitted above, shall be deemed a riding/boarding stable and shall require special permit approval in those districts where permitted.
Home occupations include, but are not necessarily limited to, the following:
1. Artists and sculptors.
2. Authors and composers.
3. Dressmakers, seamstresses and tailors.
4. Home crafts, such as model making, rug weaving, lapidary work, and ceramics.
5. Office facilities, other than home professional offices as defined in Article 20.
6. Schools of special education whose class size does not exceed more than four (4) pupils at any given time and not more than eight (8) pupils in any one day.
7. The letting for hire of not more than two (2) rooms for rooming or boarding use for not more than two (2) persons, neither of whom is a transient.
8. Horseback riding lessons, in accordance with the following limitations:
A. On lots containing a minimum of two (2) acres but less than five (5) acres, no more than two (2) students at any given time and up to eight (8) students in any one day.
B. On lots containing five (5) acres or more, a maximum of four (4) students at any given time and up to eight (8) students in any one day.
It is important to note that home occupations are different from home professional offices. The offices, studios, and occupational rooms located within a single family detached residence of licensed or certified physicians, physical therapists, psychiatrists or psychologists, engineers, architects, real estate appraisers or brokers, insurance agents and other professionals who see clients are allowed as home professional offices. A home professional office requires a public hearing and the approval of a special permit by the Board of Zoning Appeals. If you believe that your occupation is more closely identified with a home professional office, please contact the Zoning Evaluation Division of the Department of Planning and Development at 703-324-1290, TTY 711 for further information.
All Home Occupation Permit applications require:
Completed applications may be submitted in person or mailed to the following address:
Department of Planning and Development
Zoning Administration Division
Zoning Permit Review Branch
12055 Government Center Parkway, Suite 250
Fairfax, Virginia 22035-5508
Phone Number: 703-222-1082
8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday - Thursday
9:15 a.m. to 4 p.m., Friday
12000 Government Center Pkwy
Fairfax, VA 22035