Learn how proposed zoning changes may affect your neighborhood.
Sheds, home-based businesses, and outdoor lighting on residential properties are some of the topics that will be discussed at the upcoming Zoning Open House on Tuesday, September 10, from 7 to 9 p.m.
It will be held in the South County Center Main Conference Room, 8350 Richmond Highway, Alexandria.
This is an opportunity to learn about possible zoning changes that may affect your neighborhood. Attendees will:
- Hear a short presentation on proposed zoning changes.
- Learn about how zoning affects land use and development.
- Talk one-on-one with staff.
- Ask questions about zoning issues.
Fairfax County is currently considering zoning changes related to:
- Lighting: Limiting the color temperature for LED lights on single family properties and other revisions.
- Zoning Ordinance Modernization: Updating use regulations, removing gaps and inconsistencies, and modernizing the Ordinance to make regulations easier to understand. This effort involves substantive changes, including revisions to the following notable topics:
- Accessory structures: Changing the side and rear yard regulations related to accessory structures such as sheds, gazebos and children’s play equipment.
- Home-based businesses: Allowing a limited number of customers or clients to visit home-based business without requiring a public hearing.
- Accessory dwelling units: Changing interior accessory dwelling units from requiring a special permit to an administrative permit if the age/disability and other standards are met.
- Agritourism: Creating new uses related to agritourism, such as harvest-your-own activities, farm festivals and other special events.
Attendees also can learn about recently adopted zoning changes, including:
A short presentation will be streamed on Facebook Live on the Fairfax County Zoning Facebook Page.
For more information on ways to stay involved, please visit our Zoning Amendment Outreach Page. To learn more and for reasonable ADA accommodations, contact the Zoning Administration Division by email or call 703-324-1314, TTY 711.
# # #