Stormwater runoff is water from rain or melting snow that flows over the ground. Land in a natural condition soaks up the water. In areas with buildings, roads and parking lots, the water flows over these surfaces into storm drains. Storm drains lead to streams, not to a wastewater treatment facility. Anything that goes down a storm drain goes directly to the nearest stream. Stormwater management controls this polluted runoff by sending it through the storm drainage system and then to lakes and streams. This reduces the pollution that reaches the Chesapeake Bay and helps prevent flooding.
To report a stormwater management problem, please complete this form or call the Maintenance and Stormwater Management Division at 703-877-2800, TTY 711.
Outreach and Education
- Car Washing the Right Way
- Countywide Stormwater Service District
- Fishes of Fairfax County Poster
- How is Stormwater Related to Drinking Water and Wastewater?
- Litter | Stream Litter
- Proper Discharge of Swimming Pool Water
- Public Service Announcements (Videos) - Dog Waste, Stop Bagging Our Streams, Please Don't Litter, How to Report Illegal Dumping into Stormdrains or Streams
- What's that Stuff in the Stream?
Industrial and Commercial
- Illicit Discharge and Improper Disposal (IDID) Program
- Industrial and High Risk Runoff (IHRR) Program
- Pollution Prevention
Educational Programs For Students
- A Field Guide to Fairfax County's Plants and Wildlife
- Floatable Monitoring Program
- Understanding Watersheds
- Stream Crime Investigation (SCI)
- Stormy the Raindrop
- What Can I Do To Protect My Property?
- What Is a Floodplain?
- Building In and Around a Floodplain
- National Flood Insurance Program
- Dam Basics
- Maintenance and Inspections - General
- Facility Fact Sheets
- Facility Maintenance Request Form
- Maintenance Contractors
- Private Facility Maintenance
- Public Facility Maintenance
- Private Residential Outreach Packet
- Stormwater for Real Estate
- Stormwater Maintenance and Inspections FAQs
- Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Permit
- Pesticide Application Reporting Form (This form is for contractors only.)
- Public Design Standards - Public Facilities Manual (See Chapter 6)
- Stormwater Management Ordinance, Chapter 124