School Employee Members
There are over 6,000 Fairfax County Public School employees who are members of the Fairfax County Employees’ Retirement System (FCERS).
- Food Service (scheduled work hours of 15+)
- Transportation (including bus drivers)
- Part-time teachers and support staff
- Trades and Maintenance
Please Note: If you are a full-time teacher or full-time administrator for Fairfax County Public Schools you are probably NOT a member of FCERS.
Most school employee members of FCERS (those with a • bullet) have their health, dental and life insurance benefits as well as their deferred compensation benefits through the Fairfax County Public Schools System, with only their retirement benefits being paid from FCERS. For those school employee members with a • bullet who want more information on their benefits through the school system, please visit https://www.fcps.edu/careers/salary-and-benefits.
- Clinic Room Aides, Public Health Nurses (who entered FCERS after 6/30/95), Crossing Guards, and School Aged Child Care (SACC) employees are members of FCERS who have all their benefits through the General County Human Resources department even though their places of employment are generally at the different Fairfax County schools in the area. Information on benefits for general county employees can be found at http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/hr/.
Understanding Retirement for School Employee Members of FCERS
Upcoming Schools Retirement Training
The next regularly scheduled Schools Retirement class will be held on Friday, January 26, 2018 at 12015 Lee Jackson Memorial Highway, Fairfax, VA 22033 in the 1st Floor Auditorium from 1:00pm to 5:30pm. Please complete and submit a class application in order to attend. In the event of inclement weather, please refer back to this webpage for details the morning of the class - any change to the schedule will be posted by 11am that day. Class confirmations will be done by e-mail - make sure to include your full e-mail address on the class application. Please Note: This date is a teacher work day-student holiday. For a complete schedule of Retirement Training classes, please visit http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/retirement/training.htm.
To register - log into MyPLT using your FCPS username and password, search “Course Offerings” by using the key words “FCERS Retirement”.
The links below provide a selection of information covered in the class, as well as some additional resources.
- Slide Presentation - "Planning for Retirement for FCERS School Employees"
- Social Security Breakpoint Table
- Social Security table to show regular retirement eligibility for Social Security benefits used to determine Pre-Social Security benefit termination date
- Training Notes page
- Retirement Checklist for School Employees
- DROP Entry Checklist for School Employees
- Benefits At and After Retirement Information (Health Insurance, Health Subsidy, Dental, Life etc.)
Tip Sheets for School Employees
- Understanding the "Rule of 80/85" and Sick Leave
- How Sick Leave benefits me at retirement
- Things to consider when deciding when during the year to retire
- Questions from Bus Drivers
- Part-time Service - Understanding the Calculation
Please Note: All full-time teachers and MOST full-time administrators in Fairfax County Public Schools are members of the Virginia Retirement System (VRS) and the Educational Employees Retirement System for Fairfax County (ERFC). They are NOT members of the Employees’ Retirement System (FCERS), and the information for those employees is not covered on THIS website. Full-time teachers and administrators can find additional information on their retirement plans and benefits by visiting the following websites:
Return to Home Page