FAQs: Adult Detention Center

Language translation | For all phone numbers listed below, the hearing impaired TTY number is 711. | Go to Alternative Incarceration Branch FAQs

Where is the Adult Detention Center?

The address is 10520 Judicial Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030. The facility is in the Public Safety Center, next to the courthouse, just west of Chain Bridge Road. The public parking garage, a short walk to the facility, is at 10550 Page Avenue.

What is the main phone number at the jail?

Dial 703-246-2100, and then:

  • Press 1 for directions
  • Press 2 for visiting
  • Press 3 for medical
  • Press 4 for confinement, and then:
    • Press 1 for inmate information
    • Press 2 for bonds, release dates or court dates
    • Press 3 for property room
    • Press 4 for finance
    • Press 5 for classification
    • Press 6 for transportation
Can I bring a gift or food for an inmate?

You may not bring gifts or food into the Adult Detention Center. Several times during the year, the ADC's food service/commissary vendor offers a gift package for purchase. Contact Access Securepak (Keefe) at 1-800-546-6283 for more information or to order.

I am the victim of a crime. Who do I contact to find out when the perpetrator is being released or moved?

Call the Fairfax County Police Department's Victim Services Section at 703-246-2141.

What address should I use for sending a letter to an inmate?

Inmate’s full name (first name, middle name or initial, last name)
Inmate number (if available)
Fairfax County Adult Detention Center
10520 Judicial Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030

What items can an inmate receive in the mail?

Inmates can receive personal and legal correspondence. There is no restriction on the number of letters sent or received. Inmates may not receive books in the mail UNLESS the book comes directly from the publisher through the U.S. Postal Service. C.O.D. and postage-due mail will not be accepted. Money sent in the form of a cashier’s check or money order will be held and deposited into the inmate’s financial account. Cash and personal checks will not be accepted. Incoming mail will be opened and checked for contraband. Sexually explicit items are prohibited. Illegal items discovered in the inmate’s incoming mail will be seized. The inmate and the sender will be notified if the item is seized. Both parties are subject to criminal charges for any illegal items discovered in the inmate’s incoming mail. Any item sent to an inmate that is not accepted in the ADC and is not illegal will be returned to sender. If a letter has one item enclosed that is considered contraband, the entire envelope and contents will be returned. A notification of mail return will be sent to both the sender and the inmate if an item is not allowed into the ADC.

Items commonly RETURNED by the ADC include:

  • Letters or envelopes with lipstick or any type of stain or liquid mark on them
  • Blank stationery, envelopes, post cards or greeting cards
  • Musical or oversized cards
  • Plastic cards or book markers
  • Money orders not filled out
  • Personal checks, travelers checks or cash
  • Gang-related material
  • Photographs of nude or partially clothed individuals
  • Stickers on letters
  • Stamp(s) or self-addressed stamped envelopes
  • Items taped or glued to letters or cards
  • Magazine pages, newspaper clippings or book pages (original or copies)
  • More than five Internet printouts
  • More than 10 photos in an envelope
  • Photos larger than 4" x 6"
  • Bank statements, credit card information or identifying documents
Can an inmate make phone calls?

Upon admission to the jail, inmates are allowed reasonable access to phones to make official and personal outgoing phone calls. After classification and transfer to an assigned housing area, inmates are allowed to make free local official calls to their attorneys, probation and parole officers, bonding agent and some community agencies. In the housing area, an inmate's PERSONAL CALLS must be pre-paid or collect.

  • An inmate may purchase telephone time from Inmate Finance in the amount of $10 or $20, as long as his or her account does not exceed $20.
  • An inmate may have a family member set up an account through ICSolutions.com with payments going directly through ICSolutions from the family member. For more information, call ICSolutions at 1-888-506-8407.
  • An inmate may make a collect call if the receiving party accepts the charges.
Can I call or leave a message for an inmate in the Adult Detention Center?

Inmates may not receive incoming phone calls. Only verified emergency messages will be delivered to inmates.

Can I visit an inmate?

Once an inmate has been classified and moved to the general population (usually after the first three days), the inmate is allowed ONE PERSONAL VISIT PER WEEK. No more than three adult visitors and three children are allowed during that one visit per week. If scheduling permits, visits are up to 20 minutes in length. Visitors must fill out and submit a visiting card along with a valid picture identification card.

Visiting is a privilege and will be treated as such. Any visitor entering the visiting area is subject to search. A visitor not consenting to search will not be allowed to enter the facility. Violation of any visitation rule will result in immediate termination of a visit and/or loss of future visitation privileges. Visitors are permitted to take only their identification and keys to the visiting area. All other items, including cell phones, should be left at home or in the visitor's vehicle. The Sheriff's Office assumes no liability for any items lost, stolen or left unattended in the lobby.

All PERSONAL VISITORS must make an appointment by phone, online or in person to visit an inmate.

On what day can I visit an inmate?
  • Saturday and Sunday ONLY. There is NO visiting Monday-Friday.
  • 20 minute visits are held between 9-11 a.m. and noon-4 p.m.
  • Visitor check-in/sign-up is on the first floor of the Adult Detention Center.
  • Visitors must arrive 30 minutes prior to their scheduled visit to check in.

Inmates will not be removed from programs or recreation for personal visits. Professional visitors such as attorneys, probation and parole officers, and law enforcement officers are allowed to visit any time except during meal hours.

Is there a minimum age requirement for visitors?

Yes, children ages 14 and younger must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Teenagers 15-17 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian OR submit a notarized letter signed by the parent or legal guardian giving permission for the teenager to visit a specific inmate without the parent or legal guardian being present. Most banks have notary services. Include in the letter the parent's name and address as well as a phone number where he or she can be reached during the scheduled time of your visit. A deputy may verify your parent's approval. The letter must include the full name of the inmate you wish to visit. Bring the letter and photo identification with you to the Adult Detention Center on the day of your visit.

If I live out of town, can I visit an inmate?

Yes. You must follow the same rules as county residents to visit an inmate.

How do I arrange to make a professional visit?
  • Inmates are allowed confidential, unscheduled visits with attorneys, probation officers and law enforcement officials during designated hours.
  • Attorneys not admitted to practice in Virginia and other professional visitors must request prior approval.

PROFESSIONAL VISITING hours and instructions.

How do I leave an inmate money and in what form?
  • The kiosk in the ADC lobby accepts cash and credit cards.
  • The money safe in the ADC lobby accepts money orders and cashier checks (no personal checks or cash) made out to the inmate's full name. Include the inmate’s number and your name and address. Do not put the money order or cashier check in an envelope, and do not include any correspondence to the inmate. Most banking facilities and convenience stores will issue a cashier’s check/money order.
  • Use AccessCorrections.com to make a credit card payment from a computer. Please note that this online vendor charges a fee. Need more information? Call the provider toll free at 1-866-345-1884.
How long does it take before the inmate has access to his or her money?

The inmate will have access to the money within 72 hours after it is deposited. Please note that inmates are charged $2 per day of incarceration to offset the cost of their housing. An inmate who does not have funds to cover this fee will have his or her account debited each day until a deposit is made. After the account is reconciled, the inmate will have access to the account balance.

Is there a limit to the amount of money I can place into an inmate’s account?


How can an inmate get his or her money after he or she is released?

Seven days after an inmate has been released, the Sheriff's Office will mail the inmate a check for any balance left on his or her account. Please note that any inmate who leaves our facility still owing fees will be billed for that amount seven days after he or she is released. If you are expecting a refund and have not received one within 10 business days, call 703-246-2100, press option 4, then option 4 (again), and you will be connected to Inmate Finance.

Can I get information about an inmate’s account, such as what he or she purchased or the current balance?

No. Information about an Inmate Finance Account cannot be released to anyone but the inmate, even if the person asking for the information is the one placing the money into the account.

Can an inmate’s money be used to bond him/her out of jail?

The inmate can release the money to anyone he/she wishes, including a bonding company or the magistrate’s office, by completing and signing a release of funds form.

What can an inmate purchase with the money I leave in his or her Finance Account?

An inmate may purchase snacks, toiletries and over the counter medications; medical and dental services; haircuts and beard trims; and notary services. Note: Inmates will still receive medical and dental services even if they have no money in their accounts. The ADC is a smoke-free facility, so tobacco products are not for sale.

What type of property can I leave for an inmate?

You may bring one suit or set of clothing for appearances in Circuit Court or a federal court only. These clothes must be exchanged for those being held in the inmate’s property for safekeeping. The inmate must submit a release form for the clothes in his or her property to the property deputy at least 24 hours prior to the exchange. No other items can be left for the inmate. The inmate may purchase socks, underwear, hygiene items, snacks, over the counter medications and stationery from the inmate commissary twice per week. If a holiday occurs during the week, commissary is available once per week.

What programs are available to inmates in the Adult Detention Center?
  • Education Programs
    • Adult basic education (basic reading, writing and math skills)
    • General Educational Development (preparation for high school equivalency diploma)
    • English as a Second Language
    • Special education
    • College correspondence courses
  • Computer learning lab
  • Alcohol and drug services
  • Mental health
  • Health education
  • Religious services and programs
  • Opportunities, Alternatives and Resources (OAR)
  • Library services
  • Law library services
  • Job training
Are inmates allowed recreation?

Yes, inmates have access to physical exercise activities as well as passive recreation such as board and card games. Inmates also have access to television in the dayrooms of their housing areas.

Are inmates allowed to wash their clothes?

Linens are washed once per week. Towels, washcloths and personal clothing items are washed twice per week.

Are inmates allowed to have prescription medicines?

Medications may be dropped in the medical prescription safe for all inmates confined to the Adult Detention Center. All prescriptions must be in their original container and have the inmate's name on them.

Are inmates allowed to go to a family member's funeral?

A court order is required to transport an inmate to a funeral service. Funeral transports are made only in the Northern Virginia area. The family must pay for the overtime salary and expenses of two sheriff's deputies. Once a court order is obtained, contact the Transportation Section Supervisor for information at 703-246-4433.

Can inmates get married while in jail?


top of page














Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Alert Logo   New Website Coming Soon--Check Out a Preview!
Return to Graphic Version