About the Sully District
The Sully District is a historical community that is moving fast into the future! Once a sparsely populated rural area connected by dirt roads traveled by Civil War troops, the Sully District has grown into the largest district in Fairfax County. The Sully District comprises the areas of Centreville, Clifton, Chantilly, and Oakton.
Very rich in history, Centreville, chartered in
1792, has historical landmarks such as Sully Plantation, the Mt. Gilead
House, the Old Stone Church, and the Ox Hill Battlefield sites. These
serve as just a few of the many reminders of the heritage embedded in
Sully Plantation is a Virginia Landmark. Built in 1794 by Richard Bland
Lee, Northern Virginia's first representative to Congress, the house is
furnished with antiques dating back to the federal period. View
additional information on the Sully Plantation and other Sully historic
landmarks at the Fairfax
County Park Authority's Sully Historic Site.
The congregation of St. John's Episcopal Church was first organized in 1844 by the Reverend William F. Lockwood. The first structure was used as a hospital during the Civil War, primarily during the campaigns of First and Second Manassas. Sometime during the war, the building was heavily damaged. The current structure, which stands on the original foundation, was built about 1867.
The Church cemetery contains an unknown number of graves of which approximately 175 are marked. The earliest grave stone has a date of 1850. Located on the corner of Mount Gilead Road and Wharton Lane, St. John's Episcopal Church is yet another symbol of the rich history in the Sully District.
Although some say that the Mount Gilead home was built prior to 1750, there is currently no documentation supporting this theory. The home was most likely built in the 1780's and reached its basic form in the early 1800's. It was originally oriented to the south with its primary entrance facing Braddock Road. Documentation indicates that the house was built by Joel Beach who named it Mt. Gilead, and operated an ordinary, or tavern, in it until 1789.
After changing hands several times, Mt. Gilead became the home of the Malcolm Jameson family from 1837 to 1904. During the Civil War, Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston, Commander of the Department of Northern Virginia, used Mt. Gilead as his headquarters while some 40,000 Confederate troops were quartered in Centreville. Remains of Confederate breastworks can be found on the property adjacent to the Jameson family cemetery.
The Mount Gilead house has strong associations with the early settlement of western Fairfax County and the Centreville community. The Mt. Gilead property is located between Mount Gilead Road and Braddock Road, just north of Lee Highway within the Centreville Historic District in the Sully District.