Fairfax County is working with Braddock District Supervisor John Cook and members of the community to develop and evaluate a number of improvements for the Braddock Road corridor, between Guinea Road and I-495. Potential improvements may include additional travel lanes, HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes, or intersection, pedestrian and bicycle improvements.
Project News and Updates
Supervisor Cook will host the first community meeting on the Braddock Road Overpasses on June 20, 7 p.m., in the Lake Braddock Secondary School Cafeteria, 9200 Burke Lake Road, Burke.
Members of the community suggested the County research pedestrian overpasses as part of the Braddock Road Multimodal Study. The overpasses would provide an "elevated crossing alternative" that would not affect traffic flow at major intersections on Braddock Road. After receiving feedback from the community and the Braddock Road Task Force, the County has proposed an overpass across Braddock Road between Red Fox Drive (East) and the Burke Lake Road/Woodland Way intersection.
In addition, the County also offered the option of placing an overpass across Braddock Road between the Kings Park Drive intersection and the Stone Haven Drive intersection or across Braddock Road between the Southampton Drive intersection and the Wakefield Chapel Road intersection (closer to Wakefield Chapel Road). Ultimately, the location of additional overpasses would depend on community interest. The County is open to any viable location with community support.
Residents who attend the meeting can learn about and comment on the proposed pedestrian crossings, the designs being considered, and possible locations for additional crossings. Please contact Supervisor Cook's office by email or call 703-425-9300 with any questions.
Workshops Held Fall 2017
The next stage of Braddock Road Multimodal Study project will be to move into final engineering design. Six workshops were held in Fall 2017 for community residents to discuss the improvements at specific sections of Braddock Road. All meetings are scheduled to begin at 7:30 p.m.
- Monday, Sept. 18: Guinea Road to Dunleigh-King David – Braddock Hall, 9002 Burke Lake Road, Burke
- Monday, Oct. 2: Wakefield Chapel to Danbury Forest – Braddock Hall, 9002 Burke Lake Road, Burke
- Wednesday, Oct. 18: Beltway area – Braddock Hall, 9002 Burke Lake Road, Burke
- Wednesday, Oct. 25: Burke Lake intersection – Kings Park Library, 9000 Burke Lake Road, Burke
- Thursday, Nov. 16: Ravensworth Road intersection – Ravensworth Baptist Church, 5100 Ravensworth Road, Annandale
- Monday, Dec. 11: Burke Lake intersection, second meeting – Kings Park Library, 9000 Burke Lake Road, Burke
Final Plans, Survey Results and Recommended Alternative Maps Available
At the June 26, 2017, Community Meeting, Sup. Cook announced a survey regarding the development of a park-and-ride lot at the Kings Park Shopping Center. Survey feedback, along with the work of the tast force, helped shape the final plans for the project. These plans are available in maps of the Braddock Road corridor below.
- Recommended Roadway Alternative Concept Plans: Map 1 I Map 2 I Map 3 I Map 4 I Map 5
- Supervisor Cook Announces Final Plans for Braddock Road Improvement Project
- Summary of Comments Received on Survey: Transportation Options for Braddock Road Corridor
- Community Meeting No. 4 Presentation - June 26, 2017
- Community Meeting No. 4 Exhibit Boards - June 26, 2017
- Community Meeting No. 3 Presentation - Feb. 6, 2017
- Community Meeting No. 3 Exhibit Boards - Feb. 6, 2017
- Community Meeting Presentation - April 25, 2016
- Background and Frequently Asked Questions
- Project Materials and Meeting Minutes
In accordance with Title VI and ADA requirements, please contact the Fairfax County Department of Transportation at 703-877-5600, TTY 711 to request reasonable Title VI or ADA accommodations, including printed material in an alternate format or translated and interpreter services for public events. Requests for assistance at public events must be received at least 7 days in advance of the scheduled event.