Community Action Advisory Board (CAAB)
To achieve this mission, the CAAB employs advocacy, provides education, and offers funding for effective community based programs.
The Community Action Advisory Board (CAAB) advises the Fairfax County
Board of Supervisors on the needs, concerns and aspirations of
limited-income persons; and recommends policies that promote meaningful
Mandated by Federal law, the board provides oversight for state and federal Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) funds. The grants, along with matching funds from Fairfax County, are used to to support community-based initiatives identified through the county's Consolidated Community Funding Pool competitive grant process.
The Fairfax County CAAB is composed of 30 seats; 10 appointed by the Board of Supervisors, 10 representing limited-income residents of the county, and 10 representing business, civic and community organizations with an interest in serving individuals and families living in poverty. In Fairfax County, the Department of Family Services (DFS) provides adminstrative support for the board.
- What are Community Action Programs?
- What population is served by Community Action Programs?
- Community Action in Fairfax County: An Overview - History
- Community Services Block Grant Programs
State of the Poor in Fairfax County
- State of the Poor in Fairfax County: A bookmark containing information and statistics about Fairfax County’s low-income population.
CAAB Member Interest
- Over 69,000 Fairfax County residents live in poverty. If you think that is too many, let your voice be heard! Volunteer to be a member of the Fairfax County Community Action Advisory Board. Fairfax County is looking for community residents (especially residents with limited incomes) who are interested in working to empower residents to achieve self-sufficiency and reach their full potential. We are seeking applicants of diverse backgrounds, professions, genders, geography, abilities and ethnicities. Meetings are on the first Tuesday of each month (7:30 - 9:30 p.m. Fairfax County Government Center, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035). CAAB members with limited incomes are entitled to a $50 per meeting stipend to cover the cost of attending meetings. If you are interested, call 703-324-7500, TTY 711 or send an email. (Download the flyer.)